Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:49 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Olmo Giro winter bike
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:14 pm 
Retro Guru

Had a clearout of bike/frames recently and had a few bits and bobs handy to knock up a relatively tidy bike for winter. I remembered my dad has an Olmo frame in straight but visually tatty condition.

I was fortunate enough to be gifted it and my plan was to strip it of its paint and simply give it a clear coat - this way it won't look too flashy but also quite understated as well.

I've ended up getting it blasted and a clear powder coat applied - this way it will be a lot more durable and it'll be a thorough job as well, as it's hard to get into all the crevices to strip and prep by hand.

Here she is after I gave up with the Nitromors route... I should be getting the frame back tomorrow and will be building up with Shimano 600 brakes/mechs/headset/shifters and 105 cranks/levers alongside some relatively modern Shimano wheels and 28c Michelin amberwalls. SKS muduards at some point, too.

More to follow!

Attachment:
IMG_20200923_145243_resize_33.jpg
IMG_20200923_145243_resize_33.jpg [ 2.32 MiB | Viewed 447 times ]

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:54 am 
Retro Guru

Good luck with your project.

Here's my late 90's giro from about 8 years ago. It was stripped and powder coated donkey brown with an an older 80's decal set sourced from H. Lloyd. Reliable but a little heavy. A size too small so I passed it on.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:48 pm 
Retro Guru

otherself wrote:
Good luck with your project.

Here's my late 90's giro from about 8 years ago. It was stripped and powder coated donkey brown with an an older 80's decal set sourced from H. Lloyd. Reliable but a little heavy. A size too small so I passed it on.

Nice looking frame!

Yes, I think mine is a touch heavy (Deda tubes) but ideal for a winter type of bike. Had a look at the finish today and it looks really nice. They're re-doing the lacquer as there were some imperfections on the top tube but overall i'm happy with keeping it bare underneath - it looks great. Will hopefully update with pictures soon!