The faded Caramel beast......'82 Raleigh Gran Sport

Excellent work... nice save on the post...

Big guns indeed, you meant business with the slide hammer didn't you? I'm surprised it didn't leap out of the frame in fear as soon as you opened the box.

And that bolt stub should come out easy enough with a screw extractor, some plus gas and a bit of patience.

Reactions: CTK
Peachy!":pt4u3dav said:
Excellent work... nice save on the post...

Pleased to get it out relatively unscathed. I've got a mid 80's Campag Aero post in 27.2 size so I may use that now that it's out.......we'll see which looks the best.

allenh":pt4u3dav said:
Big guns indeed, you meant business with the slide hammer didn't you? I'm surprised it didn't leap out of the frame in fear as soon as you opened the box.

And that bolt stub should come out easy enough with a screw extractor, some plus gas and a bit of patience.

No messing. I'll be trying that method next time I come up against a stuck post for sure!

The History Man":pt4u3dav said:
Hardest part over

Can’t do sarcasm emoji on my phone.

Hardest part was paying for it.......double what I usually pay for a project! (I knew it was worth it though :) )

Re: Re:

otherself":293fx032 said:
I like that colour. Remember Revels the chocolate? The packaging was that colour.

I asked the missus to buy some Revels when she went round the shop so I could compare.......they didn't have any so she came back with M&Ms (I didn't explain why I wanted the Revels to be fair....and I like m&ms) :LOL:

Bike is now nekkid.......and had a polish and removed the knackered chainstay protector. Odd but the decals seem to be on top of the clearcoat. i.e. I can polish them off! I've purposely avoided these areas so that I don't lose the positions for when I fit new decals. As for thinking its faded - I'm not sure it is that bad - looking at areas which were underneath clamps etc. No real noticeable changes in colour.

2IGWnOhh.jpg

xE5Jorwh.jpg

Tried to remove the busted gear shifter stub - and managed to break an easi-out in the process, luckily managing to remove the busted part out of the frame! (I've never had any luck with them).

JVDFSvQh.jpg

Ended up getting it machined out on the Bridgeport mill at work and re-tapped.

0kFCfoch.jpg

Tarted up the dull headbadge.....

380fZ0nh.jpg

K1x4cTfh.jpg

One other issue to sort - bent dropout screw. Managed to tweak it straight enough to wind it out. Assume these are still available to buy new....

jrNQlwrh.jpg

WZgPhf5h.jpg

Sorted out the original seatpost. Mounted in a lathe and cleaned up with 320g then 600grit paper, finished off with scotchbrite and WD40. Some corrosion marks still present but I daren't go too far with it for fear of removing too much material and loosing the engraving detail. Post top components have soaked in Oxalic acid to remove the corrosion, all parts coated in Renaissance wax to protect.

Before:

pzzWtadh.jpg

After:

jLvACQ9h.jpg

mBh0iSuh.jpg

0ZcY0ash.jpg

Re: Re:

sherlylock":o4dsmn98 said:
One other issue to sort - bent dropout screw. Managed to tweak it straight enough to wind it out. Assume these are still available to buy new....

Plenty on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331344784825

Excellent work on that post...

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back