Kona Kapu 1997

I had a friend who had a 1997 Kona Kapu, I recall accompanying him on his first ride of that particular bike. I actually purchased the Campy pedals from him because he wanted to use Spds on his Kapu. It is a nice bike, i hope it gives you much enjoyment.

bigzeke":11pqpw9y said:
I had a friend who had a 1997 Kona Kapu, I recall accompanying him on his first ride of that particular bike. I actually purchased the Campy pedals from him because he wanted to use Spds on his Kapu. It is a nice bike, i hope it gives you much enjoyment.

Blimey! Long shot but you don't happen to have any pictures of it? Can you remember what colour the forks were?

Sorry, no pictures :(

If I recall correctly the bike was identical to the picture in the catalog. It was a nice bike, it appealed to my friend because he wanted a road bike that was from company that was known more as a mountain bike company.

I cannot believe you found one.

The decals and the serial are all so 90's KONA, especially on some road frames they made only a handful of.

BTW, my head tube decal appears identical to yours as it does to the one in the catalog pic. Or is there some minor difference that eludes me?

Re:

Thanks dude (presuming this is Jason?) :D

The head-tube decals I have on the Kapu and team Explosif are for the 1998 range but the rest are from 1997. For 1998 they added "Kona" underneath the K. On the rest of the 1998 decals they increased the width of the black outline and made other subtle changes too. Personally I prefer the slimmed down 1997 decals.

The 1997 catalogue and your bike are 1997 decals.

98's

qmERTx.jpg

S1eD5n.jpg

97's

rftCt4.jpg

i41QnM.jpg

I might be way off with my next statement but I think the colours of our Kapu's differ...

Small progress update. It has these cranks and associated BB fitted:

shimano-105-crankset-2.jpg

Does anyone know what tools I need to take the cranks and BB off? It's not square tapered, nor a modern hollotech design so I don't have anything appropriate to use to extract them.

In more positive news, the fork has arrived :D More to come on that.

Re:

Looks like Octalink - the bit that needs to be in focus, sadly isn't in that picture.

Just a standard Crank Puller with a Top Hat insert to fill the larger hole in the axle.

I'll look for some pics if I have time, but I'm off to the RBH soon. I'm sure someone will come along and give a better answer than my current effort.

Edit, Here you go:

Pip.

Attachments

• Octalink Adaptor FC-TL15.jpg
    Octalink Adaptor FC-TL15.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,937
al-onestare":1dz6zbuz said:
Small progress update. It has these cranks and associated BB fitted:

shimano-105-crankset-2.jpg

Does anyone know what tools I need to take the cranks and BB off? It's not square tapered, nor a modern hollotech design so I don't have anything appropriate to use to extract them.

In more positive news, the fork has arrived :D More to come on that.

Is that Hollowtech v1, on an octalink bb? Pulls off normally but you need a slightly fatter end on your crank puller - or some people use a penny or any disc which fits? Essentially just need to ensure the crank puller doesn’t disappear up the hollow axel.

Are you going to build it up with Campag? If so I have some pointy top Record Ergos I can be persuaded to sell. I've wanted them to go on the right build. ;)

Back