French Barn Find - Buckets of Patina!

So pissed and hungover and it's so damn hilly here you couldn't be arsed to ride 46 x 18T fixed gear any further and so left it at the pub and took the train back to Paris!
Hmm... those hills and fixed gear made me think. Not sure whar's worse, uphill or down hill...

:facepalm:

26er":qgf2skrq said:
So pissed and hungover and it's so damn hilly here you couldn't be arsed to ride 46 x 18T fixed gear any further and so left it at the pub and took the train back to Paris!
Hmm... those hills and fixed gear made me think. Not sure whar's worse, uphill or down hill...

Down hill. Obviously.

Pushing a bike uphill is excusable to the masses.

Clipping a pedal on a hairpin bend, sliding on tarmac, ripping your knickers and eventually stopping down a ditch is entertaining for the masses.

Woz":1686qpc7 said:
26er":1686qpc7 said:

Down hill. Obviously.

Pushing a bike uphill is excusable to the masses.

Clipping a pedal on a hairpin bend, sliding on tarmac, ripping your knickers and eventually stopping down a ditch is entertaining for the masses.
Well, in that case they should re-introduce fixed gears in TdF. Will be much more fun to watch...

Speaking of TdF. Can't see how they gonna make it happen this year w/o the whole bunch getting SARS and/or covid so been trying to call ASO to suggest they should do the whole race as a TT just like back in the day to avoid riders spreading germs all around them but those bastartds only speak French. Je comprom fcuking pas.. ffs.

Just ask for the top man Prudhomme. You may have to insist though. It's France; everything negotiable, nothing guaranteed.

Re: Here's mine

Spotted your De dion early on in your post, recognise all of your associated woes, I have 4 of these, I got the first 1 about 10yrs ago. the one in the picture is my vintage ride, I will be out on it tomorrow night, a bunch of us do a veteran vintage ride once a month on Pennys, Velocipedes and early safetys, usually early evening around the lanes in East Sussex with a Pub stop, and back to base in the dark using period lamps, candle, oil and sometimes acetylene. The furthest I've ridden mine is just over 15 miles, the original front chain ring had 54 teeth with an 18t freewheel.
I added the front plunge brake which works ok on the pnuematic tyre, the rear is a bowden.
The geometry is a little strange with the very typical French rake on the forks. That said these were fine machines in their day and that badge has has a huge heritage in early transportation.
You may be lucky enough to have the original hubs which have a knurled screw on bearing cap, they have usually been changed over the years. Icould'nt quite see from your photos. Tyres are a problem on original rims I fought many hours with mine, they are full of slime as I DON'T want to puncture and struggle at the side of the road.
Good luck with yours ! Salut Barry

Attachments

• IMG_2089.jpg
    IMG_2089.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 827
Barry, thanks for posting! It would be great if you could share more details about your De Dion - Boutons!

The gearing is something else. Originally mine had 48 x 18 fixed or 48 x 20 freewheel. I assume the logic being the wheel flip / gear change was only done at the bottom of the hill, and only flipped again when back on the flat after going over the top and descending. When you factor in the bigger 700A / 700B wheels too, we are talking a massive gear. 54T x 18T is just unimaginable except perhaps on a Velodrome !

I'm tootling around the village on a 26" with a 36T x 19T which is perfect, so I had better man-up when the De Dion get's rolling!

Back