Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:58 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:32 pm 

Still trying to get a small enough picture to post. Last one was 3.36mb so still need to get the resolution smaller.

On a different point, I had to be rescued today by my wife. Since the build, I have had an issue with the non drive side of the bottom bracket coming loose. However today the bolt fell out somewhere mid ride. Last time it came loose, I used a spring washer and it has held for a few weeks. Last resort is threadlock. Any suggestions on how to keep it tight?

It's a Campag chorus BB on it. Drive side is ok and never had a problem with it

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:32 pm 

Still trying to get a small enough picture to post. Last one was 3.36mb so still need to get the resolution smaller.

On a different point, I had to be rescued today by my wife. Since the build, I have had an issue with the non drive side of the bottom bracket coming loose. However today the bolt fell out somewhere mid ride. Last time it came loose, I used a spring washer and it has held for a few weeks. Last resort is threadlock. Any suggestions on how to keep it tight?

It's a Campag chorus BB on it. Drive side is ok and never had a problem with it

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:59 pm 

Managed to resize an image.

Attachments:
20200602_124135.jpg
20200602_124135.jpg [ 2.85 MiB | Viewed 137 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:05 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

That's Very pretty!

Do you mean the bolt that attaches the crank arm to the bottom bracket axle?

They don't normally cause problems when torqued up correctly which makes me question whether the arm is seating correctly on the BB axle taper.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:28 pm 

That is correct.

The bolt came loose on its shakedown ride and it put a spring washer on it and has been ok until today.

I have nicked one off my mtbs and put ptfe on the threads as well as a spring washer. I didn't go daft tightening it so will see how that goes.

I have also ordered a pair of campag bolts as well and will check the torque setting when fitting them.

Never had this issue before and strangely the drive side is ok and bee problem free.

Fraser

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:47 am 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Nice looking GB and yes that's an odd issue.
Surely that can only be a torque issue, if there was a worn thread problem you'd feel that tightening it up

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:32 pm 

Not even sure it's a torque issue and definitely no stripped threads. I think it might be related to vibrations. It's strange. Worse case scenario is if the new bolts don't work, I will get a new bottom bracket and see if that resolves it.

The pedal is seating ok, as I cycled about 8 miles after I thought a bit of movement and when I stopped I realised then that the bolt was missing. I then cycled a further 2 miles before stopping as the pedal arm was getting loose at that point.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:43 pm 
BoTM | rBoTM | rider
BoTM | rBoTM | rider

Remember the European made ISO square taper spindles are slightly longer, tapering down to a smaller end than the Japanese Industry Standard (JIS)
Might be worth checking

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:55 pm 

Good point. The crank arms and the bottom bracket are both campag and the drive side has been faultless since the build.

I will see how it is tonight when I head out on it.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:34 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Frag68 wrote:
Good point. The crank arms and the bottom bracket are both campag and the drive side has been faultless since the build.

I will see how it is tonight when I head out on it.

Are you sure it's the original Campag BB axle and not an aftermarket replacement? If the bolt were to bottom out on the axle it would torque up before the arm was fully tight on the taper.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next