1954 Claud Butler Jubilee Restoration

RichardJB

Retro Newbie
Hi Everyone,
With the help of forum members, we've worked out that my father-in-laws old run about is built around a 1954 Claud Butler Jubilee. He bought it second hand in the mid 1960's from a local bike shop, with alterations already in place.
With your help and much needed advice, I'm going for a full restoration to bring the old machine back to life (or as close as I can get!)

I've given the frame a quick rub to see what colours it's been - top layer is green, next is black and finally light blue (then undercoat) I'm assuming the light blue is CB's original 'Peacock Blue' but I'm not keen on that and will probably repaint another authentic 1954 colour.
The rub down also uncovered the original decals, which was an unexpected bonus!

Any help or advice before I get cracking will be gratefully received, I'll also try and update regularly as things progress.
Cheers, Richard.

Here's a list of what I think is original:
- GB Coureur levers and brakes,
- GB Handle bar stem,
- Frame,
- Bottom bracket,
- Seat tube and clamp,

What's been added and will need replacing:
- Handle bars,
- 4 speed Sturmey Archer hub dated 1964,
- 3 speed gear Sturmey changer,
- bike rack,
- new front forks,
- pedals and cranks,
- large flange front wheel (not sure of make yet).

Attachments

• CB Group.jpg
    CB Group.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 579
  • DSC07362.jpg
    DSC07362.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 578
  • 1.jpg
    467.3 KB · Views: 565
  • DSC07361.jpg
    DSC07361.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 579
Great stuff.... take extra care when removing the "Option" aluminium head badge, rare and expensive to replace... any questions I can help with will be my pleasure.. :D
PS, don’t write off the 4 speed, I had mine fully serviced (see my thread in signature below) and it’s a pleasure to use…. (although I would recommend a 4 speed shifter to get the best from it! :roll: )

Back