Ephgrave No 1 - Road / Path

Kman

Dirt Disciple
So, seeing that any racing activities have been curtailed for the foreseeable, I thought I would setup a new thread for the build of this Ephgrave No 1 Road Path from circa 1956.

It is frame number 2887 LE with matching fork.

It was repainted at some point in the early 80's but still retains it original aluminium head badge.

I have some photos of the progress so far to follow.

Kristian

Attachments

• IMG_2487.JPG
    IMG_2487.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,052
  • IMG_2488.JPG
    IMG_2488.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,054
  • IMG_2489.JPG
    IMG_2489.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,054
  • IMG_2490.JPG
    IMG_2490.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,054
Re:

The next set of photo's is from me messing around with parts that I have to hand. The paint quality is ok, but I think I will have it re finished at a later date.

Currently fitted with a TA chainset, GB Stem and GB Bars. Headset is a Tange one that I had it the parts box.

General overview, in the spring sunshine!

Close up of the front end

Original head badge

1967 Brook Professional Saddle, on a SR Laprade Seat post.

The Lollypop's!

Close up of the rear stays. Can see the pitting beneath the paint. Hence the thoughts on a repaint.

Lastly, for now, the hubs I will use for the build. Front is a Campy with cones stamped as 57 and the rear is a FB Brevete, with the cones stamped 56.

So, some nice bits to go on this and I haven't yet searched for the missing parts.

Kristian

Attachments

• IMG_3329.JPG
    IMG_3329.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,050
  • IMG_3330.JPG
    IMG_3330.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,050
  • IMG_3331.JPG
    IMG_3331.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,050
  • IMG_3332.JPG
    IMG_3332.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,050
  • IMG_3334.JPG
    IMG_3334.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 1,049
  • IMG_3333.JPG
    IMG_3333.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,050
  • IMG_3335.JPG
    IMG_3335.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 1,050
Re:

Ooof! That’s proper quality workmanship in that frame. And a nice thin paint job to keep the lugwork clean. If I had that I would spend more time looking at it than riding it!

Re:

The lugs are nice, aren't they!

I'm debating whether to repaint or not. The current paint isn't original or perfect, hence why I'm debating it.

It was last used in the 70's as a track bike, mainly at Paddington. Then re sprayed and put into the loft until a couple of years ago. I am tempted to make it useable and even ride some of the local 10's to see how it performs! (Assuming any run this year).

Something to keep me occupied at least.

Re:

Looks like a lot of the apparent paint imperfections are surface degradation of the tubes. I would guess it was quite rusty at some point in the past? Possibly a high build primer would sort it it, failing that, a bit of body filler - I’m no expert.

Re:

Hi Ray, that's one of the closest numbers wise I know of. Is that also a road / path frame? Have you any photo's or perhaps a thread on it yourself?

Kristian

Re: Re:

peetee":198oiy5c said:
Looks like a lot of the apparent paint imperfections are surface degradation of the tubes. I would guess it was quite rusty at some point in the past? Possibly a high build primer would sort it it, failing that, a bit of body filler - I’m no expert.

That was my thinking, although there is something about the colour that really works for me on this frame. I don't think it is the original colour, or even close to original, but it does seem to work.

I have a bit of a queue, so not sure when I will finish it. I still have some other bits to add, front brake caliper and lever for one and the wheels to build up. Certainly enough to be getting on with.

Re:

No thread yet - needs a repaint so will get around to that eventually. Like you I have a few projects on the go at the moment.

Its a pure road model, no mudguard eyes or lollipops for that matter, black paint (cant find any evidence elsewhere to the contrary), matching fork and frame numbers.

Maybe I should mock-it up with wheels and bars and create a thread since I have a bit of time!

Ray

Re:

Hi, just to be aware, I have an original frame ( my parts ) about a half year later than yours, close to your colour, I've attached a piccie. Thanks Terry

Attachments

• ephgrave 1959.jpg
    ephgrave 1959.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 743
Back