Unknown frame.

Bignosedan

Retro Newbie
Unknown frame. Group set taken from a bike that I’ve owned but hardly used for 30 years ago.

Purchased a Frame from eBay that was badged as a Brian rourke but turned out not to be. (I’m learning quickly!). Frame now freshly powder coated. New bar tape and saddle and jobs a goodun.

Re:

Those rear dropouts remind me of the ones Giant used but I have never seen a lugged frame from them.

Re: Re:

peetee":2w2dmjar said:
Those rear dropouts remind me of the ones Giant used but I have never seen a lugged frame from them.
Indeed, Giant did make use of simular drop outs. Instead of the hole there was a Giant logo. And... Giant did make lugged frames. See for example the Giant Peloton Superlite. The blue/purple ones in earlier had those drop outs by the way...

Re:

I am pretty sure it’s not 531 too. Those seat stays are too chunky, especially at the bottom end.

Re: Re:

peetee":20uum7ig said:
I am pretty sure it’s not 531 too. Those seat stays are too chunky, especially at the bottom end.

Thanks for that. I appreciate your input.

When I bought the frame it looked like this.

It had a 531 sticker on it so I just replaced it. I didn’t replace the rourke livery as I’d figured out by then that it wasn’t a rourke frame.

I’d quite like to put some branding on it as it just looks a bit undressed, but as I don’t know what it is, I haven’t put anything on it.

Re:

Easiest way to establish if it is lightweight butted steel such as 531 is to check the diameter of the seatpin. Don’t be put out if it doesn’t prove to be 531, what matters is if you are happy with the way it rides.
As for decals why not keep it unique and think of something yourself? Your nickname perhaps? I came up with something vaguely Italian sounding by making an anagram of the suburb I lived in and had some vinyl lettering made up for a couple of quid.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back