The Viking Saga NOW SOLD

Re: The Viking Saga

Peachy!":ogt09dpf said:
Fit the old one, take some photos, receive sage like nods of approval from this lot, then stick on Shimano and ride it (never mentioning it again) :D
So - that's what you do :D

chickendrumsticks":3dw6ijxo said:
Peachy!":3dw6ijxo said:
Fit the old one, take some photos, receive sage like nods of approval from this lot, then stick on Shimano and ride it (never mentioning it again) :D
So - that's what you do :D
Yep, its just he doesn't show you those :D

Mind you my yellow and blue Holdsworth possibly is exactly that, its covered in 105 now and a very nice thing to ride at that.

Attachments

• Holds Unknown.JPG
    Holds Unknown.JPG
    259.3 KB · Views: 768
Re:

Now, that's really nice. I'll confess that I was a little afraid to suggest fitting updated bits to a venerable old frame. So Peachy has the right idea: first get the plaudits for a "sensitve" restoration and then slip quietly into the workshop and do it your own way!
I have my LBS already looking round for old 600 bits and bobs. Maybe I'll just borrow a Benelux Mk7 for the pictures ;)

BTW, just for the record, I only have two bikes currently in my collection that do not have absolute stock catalogue correct equipment.
These are my wife’s 1955 Ladies Sports which has a period correct Sturmey archer 3 speed but with an 80’s lever and my daughters 1978 Majestique which has mid 90’s Shimano 8 speed kit, both for ease of use…..
Saying that I do also have a nice 105 groupset waiting to go on Our Jimmy’s next road build…..well it is good stuff isn’t it?

Peachy!":2bgp7dd1 said:
Saying that I do also have a nice 105 groupset waiting to go on Our Jimmy’s next road build…..well it is good stuff isn’t it?
I have to say that particular vintage of 105 is simply superb and as a life long Campag man that's not easy to say, that and the nice yellow and blue logo's go very well with the paint scheme. Of course nothing stays still though, that bike now sports a set of wheels built with the correct 105 hubs laced into Mavic MA2's with amberwall tyres, I'm a lot happier with the way it looks and of course it still rides very faultlessly well indeed.

And Mr P your bikes always look beautifully and scrupulously period to me.

Re:

I said "there may be tears" somewhere in this thread. What I didn't anticipate was there'd be despair along the way :facepalm:

I took the frame to have the panel, bands and headset painted. To a guy who's done excellent work for me before.

I supplied a sketch of what I wanted:

Also a "mock-up" of the effect I wanted:

And, a pic of the original, just for reference:

Look what came back:

What did I do wrong? He said he couldn't understand the sketch. That's how the lower edge of the band ended up 11cm above the BB and not 24cm. Is the sketch unclear to anyone else? And he had 2 pictures!

I'll update with my solution when I get the frame back.

Attachments

• sketch.JPG
    sketch.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 659
  • v20.JPG
    v20.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 659
  • v21.JPG
    v21.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 659
  • v19.JPG
    v19.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 659

Oh dear..... :facepalm: I feel your frustration.. I can’t see how you could have made it any clearer…

I have in the past screamed at an apprentice “AM I SPEAKING F**KING FRENCH?” (possibly not my most professional moment, but he had exhausted my patience) :roll:

Peachy!":2g9ltyqd said:
Oh dear..... :facepalm: I feel your frustration.. I can’t see how you could have made it any clearer…

I have in the past screamed at an apprentice “AM I SPEAKING F**KING FRENCH?” (possibly not my most professional moment, but he had exhausted my patience) :roll:
When I took the frame to him, I may have said "Bonjour", as you do...

Anyway, here's the solution - simply extended the big panel and then 2 more bands to match the lower pair. Although it's not what I wanted
I think it looks OK. The addition of the seat tube decal as well as the 531 jobby should improve it further.

Attachments

• v25.JPG
    v25.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 617

Looks good now, but what’s it going to look like with a chain ring & front mech? Is there enough space?

Back