E W Hannington restore begins

...what do you mean by a trailer bike as such?

No one was forthcoming regards my last appeal for any information unfortunately. Bill latterly built frames in his garden shed at home in Emmer Green, Reading. The frame I've since bought which was especially built for a Reading CC member of which B.H was connected with only had the head / seat tube badge. I recall the down tube script was in the lower case block style with a capital H, the name reading 'Hannington.' I've had a pair made up by a jobbing Ebay advertiser in vinyl which looks the part but can't be exact regards dimensions.

Can you upload a picture of yours here?
Cheers,
Shaun

Re:

By "trailer bike" I am referring to a bike that attaches to another bike to create a tandem bike. Here are more pictures

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200216-125908.png
    Screenshot_20200216-125908.png
    133.2 KB · Views: 687
  • Screenshot_20200216-125903.png
    Screenshot_20200216-125903.png
    136.4 KB · Views: 687
  • Screenshot_20200216-125913.png
    Screenshot_20200216-125913.png
    291.8 KB · Views: 687
Re:

Its in great condition, I believe stored inside for its life from the looks of it.. Until I stored it outside a few nights while cleaning my garage. It is very lite weight hand now hangs from a hook in the garage.
I just dont know what to do with it!
I bought it for $100 or so off marketplace to use as a festival bike but its so beautiful I can't come to terms of messing it up. The guy that sold it to me said it was his dad's and mysteriously said "neither you or I know what its worth".. Haha

So.. Just looking around for info, hoping to gain knowledge. The info that it was an artist in his shed is awesome, thanks.

If it helps any, Bill Hannington was connected for years with the Reading cycle club scene probably as far back as the 1950's. I heard he initially built frames in Reading itself and supplied them to a local cycle shop - Buttrey's of Oxford Road who sold them with the shop's name on the transfers. I was dead lucky to buy one of these last year. Len Buttrey was president of my first club, Bon Amis CC with BH being, I think, a fellow member but I was only a teenager at the time and can't recall Bill Hannington. My neighbour, also a club member by coincidence did know BH - I'll mention your frame to him.
Best wishes,
Shaun

You're welcome - and it gets even better. Turns out that his is also a trailer frame - maroon - he still has it. Bought new from B.H in October 1998 the cost was £212.36. It came with six speed rear derailleur, 26" quick release wheel and a pannier rack designed to hang over the frame rather than from the conventional saddle stem. He tells me that it would tow along easily and safely at 25 mph. This suggests that your frame was built around that era.
A small world isn't it?
All the best,
Shaun

Re:

Yes it is! Wow! 25mph is
good info to know! I don't wanna bug you but would you mind asking him how it attaches to the lead bike? I am unsure but maybe it just slides over the bike seat tube?

Back