French Barn Find - Buckets of Patina!

Here is a natural light shot showing the lugless front end and a beautiful textured finish :cool:
Dude, that looks a tad too LARGE for you. Looks like y'll end up planted on the top tube no room for seat. I also very much doubt your window putty theory. Much more likely it's PRB mud you got there. Most important, don't forget to stick a piece of broomstick in your steerer in case it cracks when you decend the mighty Galibier.

Love that textured finish, btw.

:D

:LOL:

I have the utmost faith in the forks (compared to some of the rest). Said it before, it's steel so it should collapse gracefully if it fails.

Good point about bike fit. It's going to be a challenge for my usual pedantic bio-dynamic requirements and I'm
thinking it's now or never to finally do that Eddy Merckx wooden template / jig thing.

.... going to have a closer look at those wheels now.

Attachments

• Now is the time and place.jpeg
    Now is the time and place.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 412
You may be surprised to hear that I haven't used any tyre levers. Getting the tyre residue off was a wrestle.

When was the last time you saw rim "tape" like this?

Essentially, it's just a piece of small diameter cord that feels more at home on a petrol lawn-mower!

Attachments

• Rear_Tyre_rs.jpg
    Rear_Tyre_rs.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 396
THM had first dibs on the tyres, so don't go fighting over them. :facepalm:

THM, how do you want them packed - bucket or XXL Jiffy bag? Overnight delivery is £242. I'll throw in the rim tapes for free.

Attachments

• Tyres_Off_rs.jpg
    Tyres_Off_rs.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 392
It always feels like sods law when you get a broken spoke on the rear hub drive side and need to faff about getting the cassette off.

There's a missing spoke on the freewheel side and a broken spoke on the fixed sprocket side. Bugger. :(

Lock-ring is off the fixed sprocket, but called it a day and left more WD40 to soak overnight.

Attachments

• Fixed_Sprocket_rs.jpg
    Fixed_Sprocket_rs.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 388
Woz":24beqggi said:
THM had first dibs on the tyres, so don't go fighting over them. :facepalm:

THM, how do you want them packed - bucket or XXL Jiffy bag? Overnight delivery is £242. I'll throw in the rim tapes for free.
Sorry. Didn’t realise they were tubeless.

Re:

Hi, great thread, good to see buckets of rust, a real restoration, wheel / tyres may be an issue, are they 700B's or 700A's ?
Thanks Terry

Re: Re:

OldTel":1198kdrq said:
Hi, great thread, good to see buckets of rust, a real restoration, wheel / tyres may be an issue, are they 700B's or 700A's ?
Thanks Terry

Hi Terry,

Yup, you've put your finger on something which I can't answer yet. :facepalm:

I'm already bracing myself next to the drinks cabinet for that episode.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-01-29 Tire Sizing Systems.png
    Screenshot_2020-01-29 Tire Sizing Systems.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 322
Back