The NOS Vitus Argal is now built, modern yet classic.

Re: brake cable threading

JoeCarrigan":1ax6e4e1 said:
Hi,
This may seem to be a silly question but when you ran the rear brake cable through the frame, did you just run the casing right through or did you end the casing at the entry point, bare wire inside, and another casing at the exit?

The housing terminates into those plastic fittings, so two pieces. I also had to clear an insect housing out of the tube for the cable itself inside the top tube, LOL!

I also noticed you have one with the brazed on seat post clamp setup vs mine that requires a collar, cool!

I'm curious to hear what you think about yours on the road. Mine climbs very well as to be expected with that tight rear end. But it feels very unstable on descents when I get past 30 mph. I routinely descend at speed in the 50 mph range on a variety of other bikes but I'd be scared to try that on this one. I wonder if it's just that bonded aluminum fork? It's fast on the flats and quite comfortable on rough roads but here too it seems so twitchy and hard to hold a line on. Maybe it's just more responsive than I like or something else is off on it. I don't really know. Just curious to hear what other riders think about these.

Re:

Well,
I haven’t ridden it yet, will let you know.
I did bring this up with Peter at guywires though, he has a shop in Vancouver that does everything from supplying rate Vitus parts to rebounding Vitus tubes.
He suggested that it could be an alignment issue as they can be sensitive, but these bikes overall are solid, the fork especially. Will let you know when I get mine out in the spring.
Yes, braze on seatpost. Apparently the ears have a bad habit of cracking and breaking, so yours, the 97, has the collar.
Breaking could be from not having the seatpost go deep enough, should go below bottom of top tube.
You saw the 96 catalogue I posted?
Shows the Argal as ‘new’.
Also - Argal, a conclusion drawn from the ridiculous, I have really started liking as a name. Will keep you posted on my build.
I setup a Facebook page, Vitus Argal, please join and post!

Re:

Ok, so I have been taking it through it’s paces and so far I have had it up to about 65km/hr - it has been very stable, I really can’t complain at all, fast, smooth.
There is a small and almost vertical hill here by my house, tried climbing it and about 5m from the top the front wheel lifted on me. Bike climbs well, it was my technique that needs adjusting.

Back