SBDU lo pro

fossala

Retro Guru
I bought a new bike on the whim. Comes almost complete (no ghibli) but will be restoring it to its original glory.

SBDU frame repainted as a cougar. It will be getting painted back to a Raleigh colour scheme, Panasonic as it's a 1986 frame. It has been drilled for brakes but that will be filled. I'll research what components need to be found while it's at the painters. Just waiting for it to turn up!
s-l1600-3-jpg.489505

Any history to this as I remember seeing a picture in Dave Marsh's shop (Universal cycle centre Maltby) with the now Sir Chris Hoy riding a Cougar not this one of course but it makes me wonder.

Re:

The seller said
It was supposedly repainted by terry dolan as a cougar for C. boardman and ridden by him and then used by the anfield cycling club who drilled for a rear brake

Re:

What would have been the groupset on this originally? Frame is 86 so I'd guess it would be used 86/87/88ish?

C-record came around in 85 but many didn't use it. Did team raleigh use campy in the late 80's or should I be looking at suntour and Shimano?

I've tried to find photos from the era but have come up short.

Re:

Luckily I went to Specsavers :LOL: :LOL:

Also 85/86 the Raleigh team used a mixture of European components Simplex, Edco, Maillard, Weinmann, Ofmega.
87 onwards they used Dura-ace.

If it were mine I would fit Mavic pista ;)

Re:

Just to update this.

The seller posted the bike without any packaging with the wheel out and both sets of handlebars loose. It picked up 7 dents in transit so has been returned for a refunded. How can a seller be so careless?

Back