BSA Prima project - now for sale

Re: BSA Prima project - some more progress

Whoa! That is looking very nice.
That's going to look stunning once back together :)
Well done.

Jamie

Re:

Step by step eh? Well don't say you didn't ask for it... So, let's get some rubber on the wheels. Sometimes the last little bit just won't go, will it? A little washing up liquid shoved up it usually does the trick. My Dad taught me this trick.

Proceed as above to get here and inflate to the recommended pressure. Note the budget tyres, but see how the valve/logo dynamic works - for those sensitive enough to worry!
(There should be a pic here of the wheels but for the life of me I can't upload it here. I'm sure you'll see plenty later.)
Now then - what if you don't have a workstand - I gave mine away years ago to a local bike re-use charity, thinking I'd finshed with bike refurbishment... Hold it steady and fit the bars and saddle, turn upside down and away you go.

Bar slap precautions during building - although it would make a comfy landing if the chain slipped while you were straining up a steep one...I may make this a permanent feature. Of course too, handy for giving your girlfriend a "crossie" on the way back to hers :roll: . This is what we did in the sixties - totally inappropriate now, naturally. But comfy nevertheless.

Add the wheels - the rear was tricky because it was a tad wide for the spacing and the rear changer needed attaching at the same time as there's no hanger on the frame. A two man job - at least a Dad and daughter job!

Now for the bottom bracket - fixed side first:

now the next:

Now, if a bike can stand on its own two feet, I don't see why it shouldn't!

More to follow later, you lucky folks!

Attachments

• tyre fitting.JPG
    tyre fitting.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 681
  • hold it steady.JPG
    hold it steady.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 680
  • no bar slap.JPG
    no bar slap.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 681
  • slip in the wheels.JPG
    slip in the wheels.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 680
  • rear changer.JPG
    rear changer.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 679
  • bb side 1.JPG
    bb side 1.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 678
  • bb side 2.JPG
    bb side 2.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 678
  • own 2 feet.JPG
    own 2 feet.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 681
Re:

Careful prep for the downtube positioning

I'm glad someone takes the trouble to do that..

My first 'man-size' bike was a secondhand BSA. Probably A decade older than that one though.

There was no aluminium at all in that bike. Technically it was a 'racer'.. I mean it had drop handlebars and ten gears..
..but whatever 'race' it was that someone might have been attempting to win on a thirty pound bike, it sure wasn't won by me..

Re:

Thanks torqueless - I learnt this from you of course, after badly positioning downtube decals on a previous refurb.

Even loaded with aluminium this Prima ain't no featherweight either! I'll try and remember to weigh it when it's finished. More of a light heavyweight I should think.

Re: BSA Prima project - conjuring something out of nothing...

Not exactly nothing of course, although it seemed like it at the time. Some pics to follow. to show the slow journey to completion. Much of the stage by stage pics you'll have seen already. So a few of the finished article.
Outside my LBS after fitting of new chain and fine adjustments to the gears. (Richard son of Ray runs it now and is a top man!).

Posing outside:

Finally, an example of steve's work (hlloydcycles) - he duplicated this exactly in freehand! Another top man!

Attachments

• lbs.JPG
    lbs.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 585
  • drive side.JPG
    drive side.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 586
  • near side.JPG
    near side.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 582
  • work area.JPG
    work area.JPG