BSA Prima project - now for sale

Re: BSA Prima project - now wheels needed

So some super suitable forks. Now I need some wheels.

Whatever would suit this old 1980 Raleigh built BSA. Perhaps Weinmann rims? And what hubs originally with these? Quick release 700c preferred, but I think 27 x 1 1/4 also suitable.

I'll post in "wanted" too, but any advice as to original spec is welcome.

I await the deep, dark knowledge mine that is Retrobike to produce its usual treasure!

Re: BSA Prima project - now wheels needed

I don't know for sure but I suspect 27x1 1/4 Wienmann or Raleigh badged Wienmann alloy rims on Maillard/Atom or similar small flange QR hubs.

Raleigh used a lot of those wheels all over the various ranges in that period so they shouldn't be too hard to find, but nice condition ones might be a bit more difficult.

Re:

Thanks allenh - pretty near the mark as ever! I cheekily messaged a chap who has an original Prima for sale on ebay asking him to look at his wheels. He says Maillard s/f q/r hubs with 700c Rigida rims and he's sure they're original. So that helps with the search.

I think the "Prima" had pretensions back in the day to be a "pukka road bike" so rather than have the basic (?) Raleigh combo of Weinmann/Raleigh/Maillard or whatever they went for summat a little different. As ever, all surrounded by question marks...

Re: BSA Prima project - some progress

And actually the forks turned out to be 1" steerer, and very nice too. From a Dynatech and thought to be 531 too, which is a bonus. Many thanks to forum member Goldie for supplying them at a more than fair price as well.

The frame is back from the powder coaters. They have managed to match the original colour just about exactly. The usual very high quality work from them as you'll see in the pics.

And Steve at hlloydcycles has, of course, performed his magic to duplicate the original "Prima" decals. They are not avalable anywhere "off the shelf". They're in the post.

Final update today: another forum member, reynoldsfan, has had a rummage and come up with all the rest of the parts I needed to complete the rebuild. All super quality stuff and period correct too. Thanks Steve.

The bits that came with the frame have cleaned up nicely - apart from the bars which were irretrievably bent as was one of the brake levers. I resorted to the evil bay for replacement levers, but they are Fab NOS. Some pics:

Actually, the original levers were those weird Raleigh jobs that didn't have a clamp but bolted straight in to bushes in the bars! A lovely weak spot that...

Attachments

• Frame back from the refinishers 1.JPG
    Frame back from the refinishers 1.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 728
  • Frame back from the refinishers 2.JPG
    Frame back from the refinishers 2.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 727
  • Quick! Out to the workshop and fit the headset.JPG
    Quick! Out to the workshop and fit the headset.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 728
  • Shiny bits that came with the frame.JPG
    Shiny bits that came with the frame.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 728
Re:

Sure did Chris. A nice pair of (Edit) Weinmann 36h alloy clinchers laced with db spokes to Normandy sf qr Luxe Competition red label hubs with freewheel threading. The rims are Belgian made. Not as soft as chocolate I hope...

Also an SR 27.2 fluted seat post, some SR Road Champion bars, a pair of SR sf11 platform pedals and a nice close ratio (14-20) Sachs 7 speed freewheel.
Not too sure about the pedals - were they mtb types?(Edit) No, according to Velobase they are touring pedals. What sets them apart from others I'm sure I don't know. They have polished up very nicely I must say.* And, weirdly, the nice engraving on the bars is underneath! New one on me!

Edit. Oh! And a lovely old B17 Champion Standard in excellent order. All of the above courtesy reynoldsfan on the forum.

*I don't know what anyone else does, but I use polishing wheels from Toolstation and jewellers cutting and polishing compounds - green and red. The wheels mounted in an old B & D drill in a drillstand. Noisy but nice...

Re:

Oh yes! That looks awesome! The forks look right at home. Really looking forward to seeing this come together.

Re:

Thanks Luke - yes it's coming on: decals (mostly "specials" which I have thanks to Steve at hlloydcycles) and probably lug lining next. Aside from tyres and tubes I have all I need to finish off.

And those forks! I think they look completely at home on the frame - despite the steerer being about 3mm shorter than the original. A rummage in the spares box discovered a suitable thinner spacer and hey presto! they're brilliant.

Re: BSA Prima project - decalling

Careful prep for the downtube positioning

Frame now drowning in a sea of parts

Let the rebuild begin! Shall I bore you with step by step or just the finished article?

Attachments

• the torqueless surefire method....JPG
    the torqueless surefire method....JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 551
  • drowning in a sea of parts.JPG
    drowning in a sea of parts.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 551
Back