Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:18 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:22 pm 
Old School Hero

chickendrumsticks wrote:
Hi Goldie

pm sent

And now thanks Goldie - superb forks!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:22 pm 
Old School Hero

So some super suitable forks. Now I need some wheels.

Whatever would suit this old 1980 Raleigh built BSA. Perhaps Weinmann rims? And what hubs originally with these? Quick release 700c preferred, but I think 27 x 1 1/4 also suitable.

I'll post in "wanted" too, but any advice as to original spec is welcome.

I await the deep, dark knowledge mine that is Retrobike to produce its usual treasure!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:14 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

I don't know for sure but I suspect 27x1 1/4 Wienmann or Raleigh badged Wienmann alloy rims on Maillard/Atom or similar small flange QR hubs.

Raleigh used a lot of those wheels all over the various ranges in that period so they shouldn't be too hard to find, but nice condition ones might be a bit more difficult.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:25 pm 
Old School Hero

Thanks allenh - pretty near the mark as ever! I cheekily messaged a chap who has an original Prima for sale on ebay asking him to look at his wheels. He says Maillard s/f q/r hubs with 700c Rigida rims and he's sure they're original. So that helps with the search.

I think the "Prima" had pretensions back in the day to be a "pukka road bike" so rather than have the basic (?) Raleigh combo of Weinmann/Raleigh/Maillard or whatever they went for summat a little different. As ever, all surrounded by question marks...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:30 pm 
Old School Hero

And actually the forks turned out to be 1" steerer, and very nice too. From a Dynatech and thought to be 531 too, which is a bonus. Many thanks to forum member Goldie for supplying them at a more than fair price as well.

The frame is back from the powder coaters. They have managed to match the original colour just about exactly. The usual very high quality work from them as you'll see in the pics.
Attachment:
Frame back from the refinishers 1.JPG
Frame back from the refinishers 1.JPG [ 188.16 KiB | Viewed 446 times ]

Attachment:
Frame back from the refinishers 2.JPG
Frame back from the refinishers 2.JPG [ 86.18 KiB | Viewed 446 times ]

Attachment:
Quick! Out to the workshop and fit the headset.JPG
Quick! Out to the workshop and fit the headset.JPG [ 129.17 KiB | Viewed 446 times ]

And Steve at hlloydcycles has, of course, performed his magic to duplicate the original "Prima" decals. They are not avalable anywhere "off the shelf". They're in the post.

Final update today: another forum member, reynoldsfan, has had a rummage and come up with all the rest of the parts I needed to complete the rebuild. All super quality stuff and period correct too. Thanks Steve.

The bits that came with the frame have cleaned up nicely - apart from the bars which were irretrievably bent as was one of the brake levers. I resorted to the evil bay for replacement levers, but they are Fab NOS. Some pics:
Attachment:
Shiny bits that came with the frame.JPG
Shiny bits that came with the frame.JPG [ 53.69 KiB | Viewed 446 times ]

Actually, the original levers were those weird Raleigh jobs that didn't have a clamp but bolted straight in to bushes in the bars! A lovely weak spot that...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:46 pm 
Classified Mod / Lincs, East and South Yorks AEC
Classified Mod / Lincs, East and South Yorks AEC

Looking great so far, have you found any wheels yet?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:51 am 
Old School Hero

Sure did Chris. A nice pair of (Edit) Weinmann 36h alloy clinchers laced with db spokes to Normandy sf qr Luxe Competition red label hubs with freewheel threading. The rims are Belgian made. Not as soft as chocolate I hope...

Also an SR 27.2 fluted seat post, some SR Road Champion bars, a pair of SR sf11 platform pedals and a nice close ratio (14-20) Sachs 7 speed freewheel.
Not too sure about the pedals - were they mtb types?(Edit) No, according to Velobase they are touring pedals. What sets them apart from others I'm sure I don't know. They have polished up very nicely I must say.* And, weirdly, the nice engraving on the bars is underneath! New one on me!

Edit. Oh! And a lovely old B17 Champion Standard in excellent order. All of the above courtesy reynoldsfan on the forum.

*I don't know what anyone else does, but I use polishing wheels from Toolstation and jewellers cutting and polishing compounds - green and red. The wheels mounted in an old B & D drill in a drillstand. Noisy but nice...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:41 pm 
Retro Guru

Oh yes! That looks awesome! The forks look right at home. Really looking forward to seeing this come together.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:27 pm 
Old School Hero

Thanks Luke - yes it's coming on: decals (mostly "specials" which I have thanks to Steve at hlloydcycles) and probably lug lining next. Aside from tyres and tubes I have all I need to finish off.

And those forks! I think they look completely at home on the frame - despite the steerer being about 3mm shorter than the original. A rummage in the spares box discovered a suitable thinner spacer and hey presto! they're brilliant.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:12 pm 
Old School Hero

Careful prep for the downtube positioning
Attachment:
the torqueless surefire method....JPG
the torqueless surefire method....JPG [ 140.63 KiB | Viewed 267 times ]

Frame now drowning in a sea of parts
Attachment:
drowning in a sea of parts.JPG
drowning in a sea of parts.JPG [ 118.52 KiB | Viewed 267 times ]

Let the rebuild begin! Shall I bore you with step by step or just the finished article?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next