Unknown Frame

tim75

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've had this for years but have never got round to doing much with it. It was originally dumped outside a place that I used to work. I wasn't really that interested in retro bikes then but thought it was worth saving so picked it up and had it powder coated. I built it up in to a single speed, used it a few times and after that it's pretty much sat in my loft ever since.

I can't remember much about how it originally looked apart from it had simplex stamped on the rear dropouts. You can't see any identification marks on it now as the powder coat is too thick. I think the forks were bent as well so I replaced them with some cheap ones from ebay. Anyway I thought it was about time to do something with it.

Attachments

• DSC_0030.JPG
    DSC_0030.JPG
    219.9 KB · Views: 1,081
  • DSC_0029.JPG
    DSC_0029.JPG
    259.6 KB · Views: 1,081
  • DSC_0028.JPG
    DSC_0028.JPG
    216.2 KB · Views: 1,081
  • DSC_0027.JPG
    DSC_0027.JPG
    253.9 KB · Views: 1,081
Re:

Nobody even have an idea what it might be? No well me neither but I've built something out of it anyway, seems to ride quite nicely.

Attachments

• DSC_0007.JPG
    DSC_0007.JPG
    259.5 KB · Views: 796
  • DSC_0006.JPG
    DSC_0006.JPG
    226.8 KB · Views: 796
  • DSC_0005.JPG
    DSC_0005.JPG
    230.1 KB · Views: 796
Re:

Yes that's right, the only thing I can remember is that it had simplex stamped on the dropouts.

Re:

It’s turned out handsome, whatever it is. That looks like a good, chunky seatpost so presumably it’s made out of something decent.

Have you ever thought about having it stripped to see whether there are any other clues hiding under the powder coat?

Re: Re:

Goldie":1hp88atb said:
It’s turned out handsome, whatever it is. That looks like a good, chunky seatpost so presumably it’s made out of something decent.

Have you ever thought about having it stripped to see whether there are any other clues hiding under the powder coat?

Thanks, no I don't think I'd strip it. I'd like to know what it is but I'm not going to trash a new paint job to find out!

Tim75-

It's a Peugeot from the early to mid 1980s, likely a Course or a Champion. The tubing will be main frame 531, Vitus 172 or Vitus 181(check the frame tubes, the Vitus will show up as faint stamping like v.181.) The front braze on is for a Simplex A222 front derailleur. http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... &AbsPos=28
The unicrown fork is not OEM and is a generic aftermarket. The original would have been an in house made with Peugeot's own high tensile steel like the stays. I had a similar PF 40 and the ride was excellent.

bertinjim":2rz1mxiv said:
Tim75-

It's a Peugeot from the early to mid 1980s, likely a Course or a Champion. The tubing will be main frame 531, Vitus 172 or Vitus 181(check the frame tubes, the Vitus will show up as faint stamping like v.181.) The front braze on is for a Simplex A222 front derailleur. http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... &AbsPos=28
The unicrown fork is not OEM and is a generic aftermarket. The original would have been an in house made with Peugeot's own high tensile steel like the stays. I had a similar PF 40 and the ride was excellent.

That's great, thanks for all the info. Yes unfortunately I fitted the cheap fork before I knew better!

Back