BSA Tour de France

Re: Re:

Carlp":b9tmerci said:
Claud Butler? That’ll be a nice resto.

Yes, 1977 Cavalier, short run, low end, re-badged Holdsworth Equipe (low end orange & blue race copy)
But the lad bought it with his own pocket money (£44) from a local house clearer and now wants to turn it into a tourer.

Re: Re:

PeachyPM":scpe0e02 said:
Carlp":scpe0e02 said:
Claud Butler? That’ll be a nice resto.

Yes, 1977 Cavalier, short run, low end, re-badged Holdsworth Equipe (low end orange & blue race copy)
But the lad bought it with his own pocket money (£44) from a local house clearer and now wants to turn it into a tourer.

Cool, look forward to seeing it.

I've uttered those famous words again "I couldn't just leave it there could I?" Because I've picked up yet another BSA Tour de France, this one is a one owner from new cycle that was for local pickup only on ebay and went for the start bid, so as I say I couldn't just leave it there could I.

It was bought new by the original owner from Goldings of Sittingbourne in June 1984 for the princely sum of £84.95, plus £13.55 for a Carry seat and £7.20 for a dynamo set (which it still has on it). And I thought these were pretty much all sold through mail order catalogues so you live and learn and it a very nice touch that it still had the original receipt and Raleigh Bicycle guide with it

So that's two of them in the shed now so I'd better get on with one of them at least and yet another different colour combination, decal set and component variation which makes 3 distinct versions of the venerable Tour de France by my reckoning and I've got a Mk2 and a Mk3

Attachments

• tdf 2.JPG
    tdf 2.JPG
    279.8 KB · Views: 682
  • tdf 1.JPG
    tdf 1.JPG
    214 KB · Views: 683
WOW! Allen
That shouldn't take much to bring it back to looking bright and shiny.
I must admit I hadn't seen that colour before, it's nice though. Not a hard decision to rescue it, I'm sure :)
There is one in Thurso that I see parked at the council building quite often, the usual red coloured version. Always give it a glance on my way past.

Jamie

Jamiedyer":162c2kvq said:
WOW! Allen
That shouldn't take much to bring it back to looking bright and shiny.
I must admit I hadn't seen that colour before, it's nice though. Not a hard decision to rescue it, I'm sure :)
There is one in Thurso that I see parked at the council building quite often, the usual red coloured version. Always give it a glance on my way past.

Jamie
Its in the queue Jamie but I'm leaning toward doing the earlier Mk2 one first as I prefer the look of it and the bits it has on it (its more a bike from my childhood). Both will get slightly upgraded as the wheels will get replaced or re rimmed with alloy as will the seatpost but apart from that I want them both original.

The Mk3 I'm hoping is more a strip, polish, re grease and reassemble more than anything as the decals for both might be a bit more difficult although the Mk2's are a lot closer to the Mk1 sets that are available.

I've finally started work on my Mk2. Started to give the hubs a polish ( a lot more needed yet) and the new rims arrived today so that's a job for one evening lacing them up.

If no one minds? I'll carry on posting build progress for both of mine here rather than starting new threads for them, that way when I've finished them both we've got all the versions covered in one thread.

Attachments

• DSCF3868.JPG
    DSCF3868.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 550
  • DSCF3869.JPG
    DSCF3869.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 550
I've started work proper on this one now, I built the wheels up a week or so ago so original hubs, stripped, cleaned, new bearings, new grease, new QR axles and then laced them into new alloy rims with new spokes and nipples.

I put the bike as is up on the work stand and I thought I'd give it a polish to see how the original paint came up but it's way too far gone so I've stripped it down and will be spraying it in due course. I was hoping to just clean it up as the only available decals are for a Mk1 not a Mk2 but It will look a lot better with some fresh paint and decals even if they're not quite right.

Component wise it will be pretty much as you see it so, rebuilt wheels, I've already replaced the steel seat post with alloy, I might replace the saddle and peddles, then it will get a new chain, new cassette, new cables, new tyres and tubes, new bar tape and then I'll clean up the original bars and stem, chainset, mechs, shiters, brakes and brake levers.

Obviously this is a pretty low end machine (and the frame weighs a ton) but it brings back fond childhood memories of wanting one so I want it to look as close as I can get to how it did in my Mums Littlewoods catalogue back in the early 1980's

Anyway half an hour or so's work and I now have a frame and a pile of bits, next stop lots and lots of rubbing down.

Attachments

• DSCF3896.JPG
    DSCF3896.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 466
  • DSCF3892.JPG
    DSCF3892.JPG
    213.3 KB · Views: 465
  • DSCF3891.JPG
    DSCF3891.JPG
    260.8 KB · Views: 465
  • DSCF3897.JPG
    DSCF3897.JPG