2003 Scott AFD Team – singlespeed on a budget

Konsta

Retro Guru
Current version (April 2019):

Updated cockpit and saddle area. I lost track of the total weight though. But who cares, this is a good bike.

E13qwo.jpeg

3RBKjB.jpeg

wnN9Cp.jpeg

Current spec list:
Frame: 2003 Scott AFD (994g)
Fork: Easton EC90 SLX (286g)
Headset: Tune Bobo (78g)
Expander: J&L (7g)
Top cap + bolt: Aerozine (7g)
Stem: UNO, 31,8/80mm, tuned with ti bolts and lighter front parts (110g)
Handlebar: Lightweigh Rennbügel, 440mm (176g)
Handlebar tape + end plugs: Velox cotton + noname plugs (35g)
Brake levers: Campagnolo Record (211g)
Brakes: Planet X Ultralight CNC (185g)
Brake pads: KoolStop Ceramic (20g)
Brake cables: Clarck's + Shimano (?g)
Brake cable housing: Jagwire Ripcord (47g)
Saddle: Fabric Scoop Shallow Pro (197g)
Seatpost: noname 31.6/250mm, tuned with ti bolts and lighter yokes (118g)
Seatpost clamp: Mortop 34.9mm, with a 0.3mm brass shim (13g)
Bottom bracket: Stronglight Twister (181g)
Crankset + crank bolts: Stronglight Pulsion, 172,5mm (347g)
Pedals: NC-17 Trekking with VP cages (256g)
Chainring: Stronglight 7075, 42T (67g)
Chainring bolts: noname (7g)
Chain: KMC X10SL (206g)
Singlespeed kit + lock ring: noname (27g)
Rear cog: Point, 16T (35g)
Front wheel: Speed-Tec Speedy 1 hub 28H, DT Swiss Revolution 1.8mm spokes, brass nipples, Mavic Open S.U.P. Ceramic rim (687g)
Rear wheel: FRM Feather hub 32H, Sapim D-Light and Laser spokes, alloy nipples, Mavic Open Pro Ceramic rim (847g)
Rim tape: Schwalbe (11g)
Skewers: J&L (29g)
Tyres: Veloflex Master + Grand Bois Cerf Blue EL, both 25-622 (207+211g)
Tubes: Schwalbe SV15 + Specialized Turbo Tube (105+69g)

--------------------
Earlier version (June 201:cool::

As I just updated the wheels and managed to take proper pics of the bike I though I’d share this with you.

246man5.jpg

This is my weight weenish singlespeed bike for road riding (not racing). It's built around a 2003 Scott AFD frame using parts I have collected over a long period of time.

I remember lusting after this frame for a long time but in 2016 I finally found a complete bike from France. The bike was caringly built with full DA 7700 groupset (including carbon tubular wheels) but I have to admit I took it apart immediately after receiving it and sold all the parts as I only wanted the frame!

The frame is somewhat different from Team Issues that I've seen: seat angle is surprisigly slack at 72° (needs a 0mm setback seatpost) and the rear brake cable housing stops are on top of the top tube. Also there is a small welded tab under the top tube to fasten race number to. I believe this could be the actual frame Gilles Bouvard rode when in Jean Delatour.

The build has gone through different incarnations of which this one with flat pedals (!) is the most relaxed. The bike was almost 200 grams lighter with a Chinese full carbon saddle and my Look Kéo Blade 2 Carbon ti pedals but I have to admit my behind is somewhat used to those old school Flites. And the flat pedals make the bike very easy to just grab and ride. Works great for non-performace types of rides I mainly do.

Total weight is ~5.95kg.

rjlfkk.jpg

Frame: 2003 Scott AFD (994g) Fork: Easton EC90 SLX (286g) Headset: Tune Bobo (78g) Expander: J&L (7g) Top cap + bolt: Aerozine (7g) Spacer: noname (2g) Stem: Syntace F99, 26.0/90mm, tuned with ti bolts (94g) Handlebar: ITM Kero3, 440mm (268g) Handlebar tape + end plugs:[/b] Force (39g) Brake levers: Campagnolo Record (211g) Brakes: Planet X Ultralight CNC (185g) Brake pads: KoolStop Ceramic (20g) Brake cables: Clarck's + Shimano (?g) Brake cable housing: Jagwire Ripcord (47g) Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Alpes (212g) Seatpost: Thomson Elite 31.6/250mm with carbon cradle, ti bolts and lighter yokes (137g) Seatpost clamp: Mortop 34.9mm, with a 0.3mm brass shim (13g) Bottom bracket: Stronglight Twister (181g) Crankset + crank bolts: Stronglight Pulsion, 172,5mm (347g) Pedals: NC-17 Trekking with VP cages (256g) Chainring: Stronglight 7075, 42T (67g) Chainring bolts: noname (7g) Chain: KMC X10SL (206g) Singlespeed kit + lock ring: noname (27g) Rear cog: Point, 16T (35g) Front wheel: Speed-Tec Speedy 1 hub 28H, DT Swiss Revolution 1.8mm spokes, brass nipples, Mavic Open S.U.P. Ceramic rim (687g) Rear wheel: FRM Feather hub 32H, Sapim D-Light and Laser spokes, alloy nipples, Mavic Open Pro Ceramic rim (847g) Rim tape: Schwalbe (11g) Skewers: J&L (29g) Tyres: Veloflex Master + Grand Bois Cerf Blue EL, both 25-622 (207+211g) Tubes: Specialized Turbo Tube + Continental Supersonic (69+53g)

fx6vjl.jpg

1584gib.jpg

332c854.jpg

bjcrxf.jpg

2504i0g.jpg

t98u9w.jpg

jqt5r4.jpg

15menfr.jpg

That's it. Not very much money was spent on this (from memory 800–1000 euros all in, my laptop broke so I don't have the exact figures anymore) but I'm satisfied with the end result. The weight is good, it rides very nice and I don't think it looks that bad either.

So I like it, hope you like it too. Thanks for watching.

Re:

Wow! That is unbelievably light! Looks awesome, great job!

Mike

Re:

Very nice! How did you get correct chain tension? Just playing around with chainring and sprocket sizes?

Cannot remember anymore but I think I measured and then looked it up.

Found these pics of the time when I measured my Klein frame to get the magic gear right the first time.
IMG_0037.jpg

Allen key taped to the rear dropout. Sharp edge towards the bottom bracket. Measuring point (90mm from the frame centerline) is marked with a felt tip pen.
IMG_0035.jpg

7mm wood drill fit nicely inside the bottom bracket axle. Drill is also taped so that the tip is at 90mm distance from the frame centerline.
IMG_0034.jpg

I used a steel ruler, measured the distance from the edge of the allen key to the center of the tip of the drill. Then added 5mm.

Magic gear calculator can be found here: http://eehouse.org/fixin/formfmu.php

Back