Daccordi in Columbus SL - mixed Suntour/Campag/Mavic build

daccordimark

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I don't think I've ever done a Reader's Road Bikes thread for my Daccordi so here it is:

I thought I'd bought the frame in 1986 but I remember the first race I did on it was an E.C.C.A. 12-hour time trial and looking back through my results sheets that was in August 1987 so it must have been 1987 when I picked the frame up from Wielersport in Bognor Regis. Mike Perry was Wielersport and was a font of knowledge and advice who I'd first met when I bought a Campag Super Record groupset off him for my MKM frame a few years earlier. That groupset was transferred over to the Daccordi and the MKM was retired.

Although the new frame was about 200g heavier the ride was in a different league. Back then I had enough strength in my legs to tell the difference in stiffness straightaway and the handling was much better, less twitchy and it cornered like it was on rails. Even so my back was killing me after that 12-hour, it really wasn't a good idea to christen it with such a long ride but I was young and impatient!

Over the years it's gone through a few changes, Look clipless pedals, Suntour micro-ratchet shifters, new wheels, Campag 8-speed Ergos, rear mech and new wheels again. There was a misguided attempt to update it with a threadless steerer a while back which I subsequently had threaded, then replaced as the threading was mis-aligned.

B.I.T.D. I was always a die-hard Campag man but still hankered after the Suntour Superbe Pro components that Mike had in the shop (at considerably lower prices than Ron Kitching). I never did switch from Campag but a few years back I found a 42t inner ring a bit too hard going round here in West Yorkshire so when a nice Suntour Superbe Pro chainset came up for sale I leapt at it thinking it would be the start of a Superbe Pro build and a chance to run a 38t inner. Sadly the rest of the parts never came up at reasonable prices so I now have the mish-mash of Suntour Superbe Pro, Cyclone and Campag parts you see now.

Ironically, although it's sporting some Chater Lea pedals and Christophe toeclips and straps I never rode it with anything but clipless B.I.T.D. as I was an early convert to Look pedals.

There's some more pictures here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/R5PugPpqEB73Wewq7

Spec sheet:

Frame: Daccordi - Columbus SL with flattened seatstays (not sure if this was standard at the time or a Daccordi mod)

Fork: Daccordi - Columbus SL

Headset: Modern Campag Record with older Super Record top nut and spacer to make it look less modern
Stem: Original Cinelli 1A 100mm
Handlebar: Original Cinelli 64-42
Bar Tape: Modern Fizik MicroTex

Brake Levers: Suntour Superbe with (ill-fitting) Dia-Compe hoods (I foolishly sold the original Super Record levers when I went to Ergos!!!)
Brake Calipers: Original Campag Super Record (the best looking brakes ever so the squealing Suntour Cyclones I got for this build are still in the parts bin)
Brake Pads: NOS Campag
Brake Cables: Modern Campag

Shifters: Original Suntour Micro-ratchet
Front Derailleur: Suntour Cyclone braze-on
Rear Derailleur: Suntour Cyclone 7000
Derailleur Cables: Modern Campag with original stainless outer to rear mech
Freewheel: Suntour New Winner 13-26 7-speed
Chain: SRAM PC-890
Cranks: Suntour Superbe Pro 170mm 130bcd
Chainrings: Stronglight 52t/Vuelta 38t
Bottom Bracket: Suntour Superbe Pro axle in Campag Nouvo Record cups/bearings

Pedals: Chater Lea (I foolishly sold the original Nouvo Record Superleggeri pedals a few years back!!!)
Toeclips: Modern Christophe
Toestraps: Modern Christophe

Rims: Original FIR Isidis 32h sprints
Hubs: Original Mavic 550? (not sure of model)
Hub Skewers: Original Mavic
Nipples: Original Brass
Spokes: Original Double-butted stainless
Tyres: Modern Vittoria Pave CG tubs 27mm
Tubes: n/a

Saddle: Rolls re-issue
Seatpost: Original Campag Super Record single bolt
Seatpost Binder: Half original Daccordi and half Campag (the Daccordi bolt snapped a few years back)

Bottle Cage: Not shown but usually one or two Elite Ciussi depending on ride length

Weight: Unknown

Nice Daccordi - they sure know how to build a good looking, great handling bike.
and good job holding on to it for so long, and keeping it in such good shape - it looks spotless!

bjarnetv":16ax1d1k said:
Nice Daccordi - they sure know how to build a good looking, great handling bike.
and good job holding on to it for so long, and keeping it in such good shape - it looks spotless!

Thanks, it has it's fair share of battle scars but was always my racing bike so never got abused by being used as a winter trainer or anything. It's a shame I don't ride it more often but if we have another good summer it will get used on club runs this year. Although I hadn't ridden it for ages until last week I was surprised how comfortable it felt, like slipping into a pair of well worn in shoes.

Mark.

Back