Birthday Boy Dawes

kingbling":355p5oqs said:
Tidy build
Thanks, I'm not a fan of doing bikes for other people in case I make a complete dogs dinner of it but I made an exception to my rule with this one, although I didn't make it easy for myself with the coloured lacquer..

Really like that. Dawes seem to have just gone bonkers with the detailing on frames that age - the head tube lugs look like they've been removed from a gothic cathedral, and that burgundy and black paint job looks fantastic. Do you have any pictures of the drillium chainset in place? I've been wondering what one would look like on a proper vintage frame. I guess it's the Planet X one?

Goldie":3w1ie47i said:
Really like that. Dawes seem to have just gone bonkers with the detailing on frames that age - the head tube lugs look like they've been removed from a gothic cathedral, and that burgundy and black paint job looks fantastic. Do you have any pictures of the drillium chainset in place? I've been wondering what one would look like on a proper vintage frame. I guess it's the Planet X one?
Thanks yes I likes the lugs which is why I picked the openings out in black. Haven't got another pic unfortunately but it was this crank from ebay (£36 with postage) which did look pretty nice on it.

Attachments

• drill crank.jpg
    drill crank.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 370
And finally with much nicer looking tyres and a modern repro drillium crank, a bit before his birthday said friend picked up his pressie to take home with strict instructions not to ride it before his actual birthday, which he ignored completely

A very nice result. An old hand built Dawes is reborn That can only be a good thing.

Back