1977 Claud Butler Cavalier #005616

Re: Father & Son's touring project -1977 Claud Butler Cavalier

Me and Jim have been a bit busy of late, but we managed to get a few jobs done today on parts for the Cavalier, a short 70mm GB “Neta” stem and a fluted aluminium SR seat pin got some TLC and of course the Holdsworth kingfisher blue detailing… :cool:

Moved onto these SKS Bluemels “Sovereign” mud guards, just the right shade of blue. I wasn’t sure if they would make the grade as they were covered in paint splashes.
As they are plastic I didn’t fancy using any solvents, so I had to resort to elbow grease and T-cut.. proper job. ;)

Attachments

• GB 70mm Neta stem and SR fluted Alu pin .jpeg
    GB 70mm Neta stem and SR fluted Alu pin .jpeg
    225 KB · Views: 604
  • SKS Bluemels Sovereign.jpeg
    SKS Bluemels Sovereign.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 603

Cracking job on those & the brake levers.

rwm1962":1jha23dq said:
Cracking job on those & the brake levers.

Cheers. :)
Pedals, chain and freewheel left to clean up. ready for the end of month "big build weekend" :roll:

Some quality "sodding around with bikes" there. Just a thought, you going for a handlebar
mounted bottle cage because it will be a shame to use clips over those nice fresh decals
on the downtube?

Woz":38gqavdc said:
Some quality "sodding around with bikes" there. Just a thought, you going for a handlebar
mounted bottle cage because it will be a shame to use clips over those nice fresh decals
on the downtube?

Yup, as it happens the GB bars are in excellent condition, except for some gauged marks where something was once strapped to them about an inch from the stem head. A strap on cage will cover it up perfectly.

PeachyPM":1qljl4ya said:
Working late today, and only got home after the lad had already gone to bed, but look what was waiting for me on the kitchen table! He’d finished the polishing I’d started and detailed them...I wasn’t planning on going this far, but then I can’t blame him as I’ve set a bad example with blue BMX pads on the brakes :facepalm:
I've got a bag full of those BMX pads in blue and red and if you're using them on alloy rims you won't need a bell becasue they squeal like a stuck pig.

Still cracking work so far, with the colours this really is going to be a standout in a crowd pretty bike when it's done. And have you got a good source for period looking bar mounted bottle cages? I need a couple myself.

Looking good. Time to subscribe & then back out to a chilly garage for me. I think I need to up my game!

allenh":te7xurx5 said:
I've got a bag full of those BMX pads in blue and red and if you're using them on alloy rims you won't need a bell because they squeal like a stuck pig.
Still cracking work so far, with the colours this really is going to be a standout in a crowd pretty bike when it's done. And have you got a good source for period looking bar mounted bottle cages? I need a couple myself.

Noted… Cheers Allen, if they are too squeeky, I’ll swap them out after the photo session, likewise the bright blue seat, (last seen on my Super Coureur) will be swapped out for a more comfortable black Sella Rolls. As for the bottle, I'll be using the simple clamp on aluminium one that's currently on Jim's Electron, cheap as chips on e-bay.

DKimberley":te7xurx5 said:
Looking good. Time to subscribe & then back out to a chilly garage for me. I think I need to up my game!
Cheers DK, fan heater and oil radiator are flat out in mine, but as soon as that sun goes down and the temp drops a couple of degrees I call it a day!

Only one job today because.... wait for it... I went out for a ride!!!! with the missus! :shock: :D

When I got back, I scrubbed the freewheel that originally came with the bike, a nice wide 5 speed, from 14t to 32t, that should help him carry his fair share on his panier. ;)
When I eventually got through the grime, I found it was a Suntour 'Perfect'... just the job to go with this 70's group set. :cool:

Attachments

• Suntour 'Perfect' 32-26-21-17-14b.jpeg
    Suntour 'Perfect' 32-26-21-17-14b.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 555
  • Suntour 'Perfect' 32-26-21-17-14.jpeg
    Suntour 'Perfect' 32-26-21-17-14.jpeg
    193 KB · Views: 555

Just had a flick back through this thread and realised I had forgotten to post the finished frame! :facepalm:

So, here she is, bedecked with a subtle blend of shiny stickers from Gil at Retrodecals & Steve at H Lloyd cycles.

Cheers gents, they sit perfectly with the bikes original 42 year old head badge.

Attachments

• 7837F4E0-7D10-4129-9E76-F1EDCEA7DD38.jpeg
    7837F4E0-7D10-4129-9E76-F1EDCEA7DD38.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 512

PeachyPM":1wk670up said:
Just had a flick back through this thread and realised I had forgotten to post the finished frame! :facepalm:

So, here she is, bedecked with a subtle blend of shiny stickers from Gil at Retrodecals & Steve at H Lloyd cycles.

Cheers gents, they sit perfectly with the bikes original 42 year old head badge.
Ooh shiny, I like that a lot.

Back