Raleigh Super Lenton 1956 22" frame

Great job you have done and a very enjoyable thread an inspiration for future projects!

I hope you enjoy riding it.

Many thanks Markone, for all your feedback.
Well that's winter set in here now, so I'll mainly be using my MTB (Cannondale). Plan is to report back on my experiences riding the Super Lenton in the new year. So meantime it's:- Roll On Spring!
Neil.

Attachments

• Stable (1024x768).jpg
    Stable (1024x768).jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 199
I have one of these, a 1956 Raleigh Super Lenton, it was my late father's, so again just the one careful owner. I'm not looking to make money out of this, but would really like to to pass it on to a suitable enthusiast. Would like to make contact with Craigmount, but not sure how. Can anyone help?

Thanks, Chris

Attachments

• 20230219_133610.jpg
    20230219_133610.jpg
    542 KB · Views: 40
I have one of these, a 1956 Raleigh Super Lenton, it was my late father's, so again just the one careful owner. I'm not looking to make money out of this, but would really like to to pass it on to a suitable enthusiast. Would like to make contact with Craigmount, but not sure how. Can anyone help?

Thanks, Chris
I would love to restore this to go with my RRA as this was the model that replaced it.

Click on the envelope icon in the top blue menu bar and choose start a new conversation.
I can go into Conversations (there are none currently), but there is no option to start a new conversation. Perhaps this option is not available straightaway for new users?

Hi Chris, sorry ‘bout the delay in replying.
And many thanks for posting up the pic of your father’s Super Lenton, it’s great to see another of these. Yours is certainly the real deal, the lugs seem to be unique to this model.
Where are you? I purchased mine from the original owner, who purchased it in Swindon. I’ve been chasing him up for a pic of the bike from the 1950’s or 60’s but he’s not been able to locate one!
As a matter of interest, what’s the date stamped on the rear alloy hub. Mine’s 9 56 (Sept 56). Cheers Neil.

Hi Neil. Unfortunately the rear hub is not the original 4 gear system. It was replaced in the mid 90s with a 3 gear hub, as the 4 gear version was no longer produced. The replacement is date stamped Feb '96. I recall dad's disappointment at the time not to be able to retain the 4 gear system. I read with interest what you said earlier, that the Sturmey Archer hubs were designed at the outset to be dismantled and serviced, but I can only think this original one was beyond repair.

I live in south Manchester. I include here the only photos I can find from those early days. He went all over in the 1950s and 60s, including a tour of northern Scotland. It was also used for commuting to work until his retirement in the late 90s.

Attachments

• 20230302_150607.jpg
    20230302_150607.jpg
    633.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230302_150618.jpg
    20230302_150618.jpg
    539.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 04 Cat & Fiddle Road.jpg
    04 Cat & Fiddle Road.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 05 Cape Wrath.jpg
    05 Cape Wrath.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 13
Hi Chris thanks for posting up the pics, including the historical ones.
The saga around scrapping and replacing the original rear alloy FM 4-speed hub is a story I’ve heard a number of times. In essence local bike shops just don’t have the skills or time to dismantle or service these Sturmey Archer hubs, and especially not these days. Far quicker just to replace them.
I’ve been cycling around on Sturmey Archer hubs for decades, without Issues. They’re robust & serviceable. In fact I took apart an FW 4-speed hub, and an FM 4-speed hub, out of interest, about 6 years ago, and I’m no mechanic. You just need basic bike tools, a mallet & cold chisel, and a methodical approach!!:)

If you turn the bike upside down, are you able to make out the frame number, on the underside of the bottom bracket?
On mine it’s 29911A, which points to the 2nd half of 1956.

Back