Thierry Marie's Prologue rebuild

PaulOz":85xea3c3 said:
Maca":85xea3c3 said:
Try del@delcalsigns.co.uk for the decals he's done all my Castorama ones. Or Mark at MRCreative he'd be able to paint them on.
Many thanks! Been chatting to the guys at Argos last few days who seem confident of doing this too.

Just be careful on the decals, the ones that can be bought that I've seen are not as good as originals. The ones Del has were taken from my originals. You may have to have small changes made for things like water bottle mounts.

PM me if you need details

Re:

As someone who shares an interest in these bikes, as per the previous poster, don`t mess around - get it back to Cyfec, have them do the paint as per original with painted decals and maybe get something in writing from them at the same time - will really help the value in the future should you come to sell it to me....

Envious.... Dan.

Re: Re:

gavr":9n3o1rud said:
Why does it need a repaint? It's only TM's original once...
I agree with your point! It's already been repainted once though... and current (lacquered over) decals don't match any reference photo's I can find.

Re:

Yep, although its been painted over and it could be argued its only original once, the same could be said of components - if you assume its only real once, then hey, why not pop some D12 11 speed on there - its a great frame and thats a great groupset.... Maybe some Milenstein Lightweight wheels...

Then we cry...

Reality is that the frame is the real deal, you would I assume be fitting TM`s equivilent groupset and once built up it will always be referred to as TM`s TDF stage winning bike - thats why in my opinion it should be sorted correctly. Its also the reason why it worth and sold for 10 times more than the equivilant old TT frame.

But I do put a value on important bikes, especially ex pro bikes, Tour winning bikes are just in a different league.

Dan.

Re: Re:

Retro Dan":2ja1qvpe said:
Yep, although its been painted over and it could be argued its only original once, the same could be said of components - if you assume its only real once, then hey, why not pop some D12 11 speed on there - its a great frame and thats a great groupset.... Maybe some Milenstein Lightweight wheels...

Then we cry...

Reality is that the frame is the real deal, you would I assume be fitting TM`s equivilent groupset and once built up it will always be referred to as TM`s TDF stage winning bike - thats why in my opinion it should be sorted correctly. Its also the reason why it worth and sold for 10 times more than the equivilant old TT frame.

But I do put a value on important bikes, especially ex pro bikes, Tour winning bikes are just in a different league.

Dan.
Agreed on all points! The bars and saddle fairing the hardest parts to find and have those although decals need a tweak... groupset is much easier, procured most of the 7400/7403 groupset already NOS. And the tiger striped saddle. Seems tricky to find STI's NOS is the only thing. From photo references it seems that the first DA dual pivot brakes were on this bike too! 7400 from 91 should be single pivot... but definitely dual pivot in images, so must be 7403.
I have a pair of newer model 4-spokes, with the valve in middle of the rim rather than in one of the spokes. Front 650 is a bit beaten up... but I think the decals will cover most damage. Still looking for a better one though.

Re:

That seems like a fair call - if it's been repainted already and the decals are incorrect then I'm with you

Re:

Managing to pull a DA 7400 groupset together all NOS.
Aside from the STI's predictably... got new levers though so will look new, could do with some new hoods or bodies.
July '91 group shouldn't be dual pivot I think... but they're definitely dual pivots in photo's, so got a pair of 7403's.
TT specific 44 and 54 rings too.... the mech braze on height indicates a 54.
Saddle and stem new too, even the shoes!

If anyone sees some Look pro carbon arc's new somewhere please let me know!

Attachments

• IMG_8647.JPG
    IMG_8647.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 804
Back