Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:00 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:57 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:09 pm
Posts: 12
Maca wrote:
Try del@delcalsigns.co.uk for the decals he's done all my Castorama ones. Or Mark at MRCreative he'd be able to paint them on.

Many thanks! Been chatting to the guys at Argos last few days who seem confident of doing this too.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:09 am 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:04 pm
Posts: 789
PaulOz wrote:
Maca wrote:
Try del@delcalsigns.co.uk for the decals he's done all my Castorama ones. Or Mark at MRCreative he'd be able to paint them on.

Many thanks! Been chatting to the guys at Argos last few days who seem confident of doing this too.



Just be careful on the decals, the ones that can be bought that I've seen are not as good as originals. The ones Del has were taken from my originals. You may have to have small changes made for things like water bottle mounts.

PM me if you need details


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:18 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:38 am
Posts: 40
As someone who shares an interest in these bikes, as per the previous poster, don`t mess around - get it back to Cyfec, have them do the paint as per original with painted decals and maybe get something in writing from them at the same time - will really help the value in the future should you come to sell it to me....

Envious.... Dan.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:09 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 5:59 pm
Posts: 701
Location: West Yorkshire
Why does it need a repaint? It's only TM's original once...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:01 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:21 pm
Posts: 1249
Looks the nuts


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:05 am 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:09 pm
Posts: 12
gavr wrote:
Why does it need a repaint? It's only TM's original once...

I agree with your point! It's already been repainted once though... and current (lacquered over) decals don't match any reference photo's I can find.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:59 am 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:38 am
Posts: 40
Yep, although its been painted over and it could be argued its only original once, the same could be said of components - if you assume its only real once, then hey, why not pop some D12 11 speed on there - its a great frame and thats a great groupset.... Maybe some Milenstein Lightweight wheels...

Then we cry...

Reality is that the frame is the real deal, you would I assume be fitting TM`s equivilent groupset and once built up it will always be referred to as TM`s TDF stage winning bike - thats why in my opinion it should be sorted correctly. Its also the reason why it worth and sold for 10 times more than the equivilant old TT frame.

But I do put a value on important bikes, especially ex pro bikes, Tour winning bikes are just in a different league.

Dan.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:52 am 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:09 pm
Posts: 12
Retro Dan wrote:
Yep, although its been painted over and it could be argued its only original once, the same could be said of components - if you assume its only real once, then hey, why not pop some D12 11 speed on there - its a great frame and thats a great groupset.... Maybe some Milenstein Lightweight wheels...

Then we cry...

Reality is that the frame is the real deal, you would I assume be fitting TM`s equivilent groupset and once built up it will always be referred to as TM`s TDF stage winning bike - thats why in my opinion it should be sorted correctly. Its also the reason why it worth and sold for 10 times more than the equivilant old TT frame.

But I do put a value on important bikes, especially ex pro bikes, Tour winning bikes are just in a different league.

Dan.

Agreed on all points! The bars and saddle fairing the hardest parts to find and have those although decals need a tweak... groupset is much easier, procured most of the 7400/7403 groupset already NOS. And the tiger striped saddle. Seems tricky to find STI's NOS is the only thing. From photo references it seems that the first DA dual pivot brakes were on this bike too! 7400 from 91 should be single pivot... but definitely dual pivot in images, so must be 7403.
I have a pair of newer model 4-spokes, with the valve in middle of the rim rather than in one of the spokes. Front 650 is a bit beaten up... but I think the decals will cover most damage. Still looking for a better one though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:09 am 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 5:59 pm
Posts: 701
Location: West Yorkshire
That seems like a fair call - if it's been repainted already and the decals are incorrect then I'm with you


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group