Father & Son Claud Butler Christmas special

I’ve been looking for a suitable mid 50’s front hub to pair up with the 1956 Sturmey 3 speed. A 32 hole obviously, chromed steel, preferably a large flange.... well yesterday I spotted a nasty old wheel for £2 at a car boot sale with a large flange caked in hard grease & grime, I thought it was worth a punt so...
After cutting away the remaining nasty spokes and condemning the rusted and damaged rim to the recycling bin, I cleaned the hub up.
Chuffed to bits with the result, a “Resilion” Continental large flange, not sure of the year, could be either 50’s or 60’s, I don’t really mind, as it cleaned up beautifully and I think makes a perfect partner to the 40 hole Sturmey. :D

Attachments

• 7BF18E0B-1EBD-4BAE-9173-857FAC02EEB4.jpeg
    7BF18E0B-1EBD-4BAE-9173-857FAC02EEB4.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 1,295
Things have stalled a bit on this build, everything’s ready except the rims, I've been attempting to clean-up some chrome steel rims a plain old 40 hole Dunlop rear from the 60’s and 32 hole Rigida front from the 70’s but although young Jim is getting impatient, I'm wondering if they are worth the bother. The chrome is at best average, and I’m running out of tin foil as well as patience.
I do however have a nice set of Dunlop High pressure special lightweights at the chromers, these were supposed to be for another build, but now I’m thinking this bike/my wife might be worth it.

So now I’m in need of another set to replace them, I’ll post in the road bike wanted, but if any of you have any, please PM me.

That’s 27” Dunlop special lightweight 40 hole and 32 hole only.

Me and the man cub managed to get a few hours in the workshop today, we are still waiting on the re-chromed rims, so we thought we would fit my Jubilee’s wheels just to help with loose fitting the brakes, mudguards and rear rack.

These old Weinmann red centre AG’s (500 & 730) with the old-style cam adjusters didn't come with the bike, They are possibly late sixties, early seventies but they’ve cleaned up nicely and Jimmy had a go at colouring in! :cool:

I had the mudguards painted up with the frame and just for fun added some Claud Butler signatures. :p

The rear rack also came with the bike but now has a nice new coat of gold although it didn’t have all the correct bolts, fortunately I’ve got one or two purloined from car boot sales :roll: (wife rolls her eyes when I appear with a big grin :LOL: )

Attachments

• Proper job.jpeg
    Proper job.jpeg
    213.3 KB · Views: 1,206
  • DirtyBrakes.jpeg
    DirtyBrakes.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 1,206
  • RearMudguard clip.jpeg
    RearMudguard clip.jpeg
    239.3 KB · Views: 1,206
  • CBMudguard.jpeg
    CBMudguard.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 1,206
  • Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,206
  • OldBolts.jpeg
    OldBolts.jpeg
    224.7 KB · Views: 1,206
  • after.jpeg
    after.jpeg
    231.1 KB · Views: 1,206
  • Helping hand.jpeg
    Helping hand.jpeg
    199.2 KB · Views: 1,206
That’s a lovely job. Mrs PPM should be very pleased. Only thing to think about is what to wrap and put under the tree as a clue.......

Cheers chaps. I think a gold bow, and tucked behind the tree will probably have to do. Not quite at the finish line yet. Not til the fat chromer sings!

Good idea......

Tonight, we shall mostly be lacing wheels! The front for Jim and I’ll sort out the rear…. :D

These Dunlop High Pressure Special Lightweights are back from David Allen at https://www.allenchrome.co.uk/
As they are very thin, David couldn’t work them too much for fear of going through. So they aren’t as shiny as when they were brand new & you can still see the pitting where the rust was deep. But now they are rust free, and with proper care should last many more years (and look good) :xmas-cool:

Attachments

• file-148.jpeg
    file-148.jpeg
    288 KB · Views: 1,082
PeachyPM":1gzs2eu3 said:
Tonight, we shall mostly be lacing wheels! The front for Jim and I’ll sort out the rear…. :D

These Dunlop High Pressure Special Lightweights are back from David Allen at https://www.allenchrome.co.uk/
As they are very thin, David couldn’t work them too much for fear of going through. So they aren’t as shiny as when they were brand new & you can still see the pitting where the rust was deep. But now they are rust free, and with proper care should last many more years (and look good) :xmas-cool:
Wheel building is a very relaxing pastime for a winters evening I find.

And sterling work so far both, keep it up, Mrs Peachy should be rightly cock-a-hoop when she's presented with this on Christmas morning.

Back