Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:40 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:49 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:29 pm
Posts: 10
Location: Glasgow
Very nice! I picked up a Championship earlier this year and have been searching out info ever since. As you say, it takes a bit of trawling - and I knew what mine was to start with!
Without wanting to escalate the decal position controversy I thought I'd post a couple of pics of mine pretty much 'as found'. I'm pretty sure it was sitting in a garage since the mid eighties... It seems pretty original except for tyres and the rear wheel, so may help if you need references at all - just give me a shout if you need close-ups.

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:32 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:42 pm
Posts: 1049
Location: East Yorkshire
:D Hurrah! pictures of a bike... now that's more like it! :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:01 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:31 am
Posts: 375
Location: North Kent Coast UK
PeachyPM wrote:
:D Hurrah! pictures of a bike... now that's more like it! :D


Ha Ha, quite, my thoughts exactly.

Scarily though it's yet another variant with different cable guides and dare I mention them different decal locations to the ones I found. How can a manufacturer make one lowish volume model and vary it so much in two year production period? It's worse than owning an Alpina BMW.

I will post some more photo's of mine later this weekend as I have managed a bit of assembly recently but the necessary evil that is work is getting in the way at the moment.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:04 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:31 am
Posts: 375
Location: North Kent Coast UK
TheDocmeister wrote:
Very nice! I picked up a Championship earlier this year and have been searching out info ever since. As you say, it takes a bit of trawling - and I knew what mine was to start with!
Without wanting to escalate the decal position controversy I thought I'd post a couple of pics of mine pretty much 'as found'. I'm pretty sure it was sitting in a garage since the mid eighties... It seems pretty original except for tyres and the rear wheel, so may help if you need references at all - just give me a shout if you need close-ups.

Ooh I like that, very nice and I might take you up on the photo's moving forward.

But I do have a couple of questions if you can answer them i.e what make is the front hub and rim? What make are the bars? and what make is the seat pin?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:34 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:41 pm
Posts: 9405
Location: Cumbria
Seat pin is probably an alloy Birmalux if it's just plain with no markings or there might be a faint Birmalux stamp where the saddle clamp attzches


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:49 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:29 pm
Posts: 10
Location: Glasgow
Front wheel is the original - if the online brochure is anything to go by - high flange Campagnolo with definitely an anodised rim, so I assume still Staral. It has a very 'square' profile. Bars are GB. Not sure about the seat post, but I'll have a look tomorrow and see what I can find markings-wise.
The rear wheel seems to have been replaced with a Rigida rim and Mailard low flange hub at some point - but still with a Campagnolo spear.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:29 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:29 pm
Posts: 10
Location: Glasgow
Saddle post is indeed marked Birmalux - looks like 26.4mm.
On closer inspection the hubs aren't Campagnolo at all! Sunshine is the marking on the spears - very Campagnolo in style I hasten to add. Amazing what hides under years of grime!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:36 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:31 am
Posts: 375
Location: North Kent Coast UK
Midlife wrote:
Seat pin is probably an alloy Birmalux if it's just plain with no markings or there might be a faint Birmalux stamp where the saddle clamp attzches

TheDocmeister wrote:
Front wheel is the original - if the online brochure is anything to go by - high flange Campagnolo with definitely an anodised rim, so I assume still Staral. It has a very 'square' profile. Bars are GB. Not sure about the seat post, but I'll have a look tomorrow and see what I can find markings-wise.
The rear wheel seems to have been replaced with a Rigida rim and Mailard low flange hub at some point - but still with a Campagnolo spear.

TheDocmeister wrote:
Saddle post is indeed marked Birmalux - looks like 26.4mm.
On closer inspection the hubs aren't Campagnolo at all! Sunshine is the marking on the spears - very Campagnolo in style I hasten to add. Amazing what hides under years of grime!

Thanks Both, that's what I expected and what I took from the catalogue but it's nice to have it confirmed. The only bits I don't have that are correct are the wheels (both rims and hubs) so unless I can turn up a pair will go with what I have which is Mailard large flange hubs laced into Rigida rims which are correct period wise and the seat pin and saddle, seat pin I'm pretty certain I've got a correct Birmalux one somewhere although the one in there at the moment is an ITM which will work if I can't find the Birmalux and the saddle where i'll use one the PlanetX Holdsworth ones.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:23 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:31 am
Posts: 375
Location: North Kent Coast UK
With the sun shining and having a day off work I decided I needed to get on with this one so below is where it started out this morning.

I didn't like the black Weinmann's, they don't look right so I found a pair of silver ones in the parts box, they need a good polish but will do for now for assembly purposes.

I'm not sure about the wheels either as they need a good clean but I do have the wheels this frame came with although I don't think them original either but are in a bit of a sorry state so was going to strip them down, polish the hubs and rims and re spoke them over the winter, so for now these will do again for the purposes of assembly.

The eagle eyed will also notice my next project to be started lurking behind which will be Frencher than a French thing that's pre disposed to Gallic shrugs.


Attachments:
champ 004.jpg
champ 004.jpg [ 376.58 KiB | Viewed 110 times ]
champ 005.jpg
champ 005.jpg [ 465.81 KiB | Viewed 110 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:26 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:31 am
Posts: 375
Location: North Kent Coast UK
And finished bike for now. This is going to be striped down a little bit over the winter to have a few parts polished and so there will be a final photo in the future once I've got round to all the cleaning and polishing but for now it's built.


Attachments:
champ 006.jpg
champ 006.jpg [ 408.65 KiB | Viewed 110 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group