COMPLETED : Sid Barras' Reynolds 753 Rourke Moducel 1985

Fifthgrace

Retro Guru
So I'm ready to bring back to life an ex-pro frame from the 80s, This hasn't been cheap, but sometimes you get in deep and then there's no back pedaling- it has to be completed!

So it started with a yellow and black 56cm (my perfect size) "Moducel" frame, with design cues that indicated a Stoke-built Rourke and rumours that it belonged to an ex pro. If you want to follow the full "Team" story, visit my blog https://moducel.wordpress.com/ but this is the bike re-build thread...

Spec: head set (stiff), Shimano outboard cups and rust to chrome wrapover stays, 130mm rear. Research and a cross-reference of the frame number with Brian Rourke's shop in Stoke confirmed a 1984/5 Reynolds 753 frame and fork built for pro rider, Sid Barras.

Attachments

• Moducel 2.jpg
    Moducel 2.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 993
  • Moducel 3.jpg
    Moducel 3.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 993
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 993
Re: Sid Barras' Reynolds 753 Rourke Moducel 1985 bike build

And this is how it originally looked in 1985: wrapover stays and through top tube rear brake cable feed are nice details.

Attachments

• cc Moducel 1985 (2).jpg
    cc Moducel 1985 (2).jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 992
  • cc Sid Barras 1985 Sealink.jpg
    cc Sid Barras 1985 Sealink.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 991

So will join your two threads together as the paint job is great

Frame refurbished by Jason Rourke: unfortunately the chrome wrapover stays couldn't be preserved (note to self: when buying Reynolds 753 frames check level of corrosion). Brief to Jason and the team was let's not be a slave to the original (after all the frame's been re-set at 130mm already), but keep the original feel and it's OK to step it up a notch with pearl paints etc. Chrome on forks kept as in VG condition. Hopefully, you'll agree brief met!

Attachments

• PA1100569.JPG
    PA1100569.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 984
  • PA1100572.JPG
    PA1100572.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 983
  • PA1100573.JPG
    PA1100573.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 982
  • AP1100571.JPG
    AP1100571.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 983

Next source the parts: Most of my bikes are 10 speed Campagnolo: why? It looks great, it functions well, I can service it and it's easy to swap wheelsets around. I haven't run 11 speed, but I'm perfectly happy with 10 so why "upgrade"? And I'm not getting any younger. I'm also a big fan of Centaur 2009/10: great value (some NOS still around), ergos have a great shape (comfortable and they offer the multi gear change sweep) and I like the fact that there was an all alloy set as well as carbon options. For a retro-modern build it's well-suited.

So here's the full spec list:

Centaur alloy ergos
New white ergo hoods
Centaur alloy front derailleur
Centaur carbon rear derailleur (black to replicate look of Super Record)
NOS Centaur alloy chainset 53/39( to replicate SR Strada chainset)
Campagnolo Record outboard cups
NOS Record cassette: 11-25
NOS Alloy skeleton F&R brakes
New white Turbo saddle
NOS 44 cm C-2-C Specialized alloy handlebars (getting wide old school alloy handlebars is a challenge)
Cinelli 1A? 110 cm quill stem
Leather wrap shown but won't be used as ergos to be fitted (change of plan)
Super Record long fluted stem, 27.2
Mavic Ksyrium Elite S wheels (NOS rims rebuilt on used hubs)
Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp tyres: black & white
Campagnolo skewers
New Campagnolo white cable set
New Campagmolo Centaur narrow chain for 10 speed
NOS Reynolds 753 decals
New Jagwire end stops
Cable finishers
Need to source a white vintage 80s water bottle- any offers? (kellogg's Tour of Britain on it's way, but need another please!)

Attachments

• AP1100542.JPG
    AP1100542.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 978
Re:

Great stuff!

I went to school with Sid's son, Tom who himself turned out to be a Pro and also ran a Pro Team up until last year I believe. I could share this thread with Tom if you like?

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":3hrm08bd said:
Great stuff!

I went to school with Sid's son, Tom who himself turned out to be a Pro and also ran a Pro Team up until last year I believe. I could share this thread with Tom if you like?

Thanks-You're more than welcome to-I'd like to think that he would be impressed with the blog on the Moducel Team which I put together from scraps of info on the internet/searching for bike team collector cards etc. For me, the story is as interesting as the bike frame itself and now looking forwards to riding it..!

Re:

Mainly for my benefit, I'm going to detail the build so that I can refer to it as a guide for future builds: if it helps you too, then great!

Frame came complete with headset: any info on model appreciated.

Tools: I use a long Allen key socket with a torque wrench for the Chainset bolt: Campagnolo has a special tool, but this socket is way cheaper and does the job perfectly.

Bottom bracket cups: wind masking tape around cups (twice) before using cup tightening tool- protects the soft metal and its finish

These Centaur 2009/10 ergos require a 3-4mm star shape- ended screwdriver (not pictured) to tighten the ergos via inserting the screwdriver underneath the hood from the front (tricky). Ergos require barrel adjuster cable stops: those fitted are by Jagwire, but Dura Ace are a better fit to frame (no gaps).

Frames with "diving helmet" rear derailleur stop require a stepped ferrule (3.7mm nose), 5 mm for the short rear derailleur cable. These aren't included in Campagnolo cable sets.

The chain breaker is used for shortening the chain and for joining using the Campagnolo pin (not a chain link in two parts) that it comes with. Follow Campagnolo's instructions v. carefully.

Insert the brake cables down through behind the levers, taking care to orientate the feeding barrels correctly. Correct gear needs to be selected on the Ergo levers to enable the gear cable to be threaded through the hole in the ratchet mechanism. Clicking through the gears will then feed the cable through. Use blunted cocktail sticks to push the cable down through the plastic channels on top of the ergo.

Replacing ergo hoods: warm the new hoods on a radiator: makes them more pliable. Start with hood at 90 degrees and insert and turn. Stretch over the thumb changer in steps using an Allen key to assist.

Use metal files to widen rear drop outs and grease wheel axles before inserting. These 80's frames when repainted don't have sufficient room for modern wheelsets- but a bit of filing soon sorts!

Attachments

• P1100622a.JPG
    P1100622a.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 708
Re:

Centaur skeleton brakes- needed a selection of recessed brake nuts to fir correctly. Star washers were included which stop the brakes rotating.
Found a very nice Super Record seatpost with long flutes (from Latvia). Highlighted yellow, I will look to overpaint in red or completely remove in line with original spec, as is the saddle. Taking the white theme through the bike with Campagnolo cable set, Turbo saddle and pedals. Skewers are Campagnolo Eurus, rare in Silver. Ksyrium wheels with Record 10 speed cassette. I had to rebuild the cassette as the spacers had been put together by an eBay seller who didn't know what they were doing and merged two partial sets incorrectly thinking they are all the same size :( a 3.9mm sized spacer hunted down on eBay to get the correct spacing. See link if you ever have a similar issue https://branfordbike.com/new-page-1/
Centaur carbon derailleur to replicate the look of Super record with black plate. Derailleurs needed minimal tuning: worked almost perfectly out of the box with cables tightened.

Attachments

• P1100623a.JPG
    P1100623a.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 697
  • P1100633a.JPG
    P1100633a.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 697
  • P1100575a.JPG
    P1100575a.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 697
  • P1100640a.JPG
    P1100640a.JPG