1997(?) Principia 700 -> new pics (page 4)

Re: Principia 700 (maybe 1997)

24m6id0.jpg

Had to try how it would look!

Re: 1997(?) Principia 700 -> finished soon

Not much missing. Need to cut shift cable housing to length and shorten the chain. Handlebar tape will go on later after a few rides in case I need to make adjustments.

image.jpg

Almost ready.

Finally managed to fasten the shifter cables and put the chain on and adjust the rear mech. Took a test ride around the block. It's sublime. Size seems right, shifting is totally quiet and when coasting the rear hub sounds like Swiss watch.

2wnpc1l.jpg

301zhck.jpg

Thanks!

I'm afraid the bike is still not finished. Took the bike for a few long test rides in July and August though and found the size to be good.
But I have to say the frame (with those fat seatstays) plus alloy fork in the front is a very rigid combination... Hard even!

Planning on updating the build a bit in the near future. I just bought a Cinelli A1 stem and a Selcof aero seatpost as I think they are beatiful.

Konsta":m8eddn18 said:
But I have to say the frame (with those fat seatstays) plus alloy fork in the front is a very rigid combination... Hard even!
They were well known for being on the harsh side of rigid. I don't think i'd want to ride mine on the roads round here, not without bigger tyres/lower pressures.

What clearance do you have under the fork/on the stays?
Would a 25mm tyre fit, run that at 80-85 instead of a 23 at 90-100?
My frame has clearance for 25s (but its a different generation to yours, and has a full carbon fork).

A nice skinny round seatpin might also take the sting out, aero will probably make it worse.

Yep but those Vittorias are not 23mm tyres. On those OpenPros they measure true to size 25mm. They fit fine.

After my test rides I tried Grand Bois Cerf Greens and from memory on the rim they were something like 28mm wide, maybe even a bit more. Front was ok but on the rear the tyre touched the underside of the brake! I could put two chain pins between the rear hub axle and the frame to get a little more room for the tyre but maybe it complicates things too much. Also if I remember correctly there was quite small gap between the tyre and the chainstay, like 1–2mm on each side and I don't want to risk scraping the paint if it's avoidable.

So I'm afraid it's 25mm max for me.

You're probably right about the seatpost. But I don't think this bike could be described as unridable though. It's just somewhat harder than what I'm used to. Who cares. I guess that's the price I have pay for the good looks. :roll:

Konsta":3j3kwh6d said:
Yep but those Vittorias are not 23mm tyres. On those OpenPros they measure true to size 25mm. They fit fine.
Sorry, thought they were 23s, but either way just try playing with pressures a bit. I've running about 5-5.5 bar on my training bike (700x25 at the moment). The comfort is improved, and no issues with pinch punctures or handling yet either........

Oops it seems all pics are gone. Have to upload them again and edit every post...

The bike is almost finished. Now with a NOS rim in the front wheel so ridable again.
Bar tape is still missing as I've not decided on the color yet.

9zy88z.jpg

1qo11w.jpg

bhjde9.jpg

Re:

Great work beautiful bike white bar tape would look lovely on this bike

I love the horizontal top tube which most of the early aluminum road frames had everything looks right

Regards pat

Latest posts

Back