1961 Claud Butler Super Coureur #9081 (Entente cordiale)

Hello gang, hope you are enjoying this lovely August, not too hot to ride but still pleasantly warm....
So, as mentioned previously, I’m on a “bike bits holiday ban” not a full Velo cessation you understand, as me and the kids have hired some of those silly ballon tired beach bikes..... :shock: lots of fun but I won’t be buying one anytime soon.
Now then, after a long day walking around the Eden project in Cornwall, we get home and the kids wanted to go crabbing & the wife declares she wants some time to sit and write her blog. “Shame you didn’t bring some bits after all” she says :D
“As it happens” I pipe up, I inadvertently left a box of doings in the boot!

Now it’s cleaned up I can see this hub just scrapes in the theme parameters as produced in 1979! But as these hubs didn’t really change much in spec or finish since the early sixties it’s still kosher for me.

Attachments

• 701F2211-333F-4E12-B497-9E524A790BAC.jpeg
    701F2211-333F-4E12-B497-9E524A790BAC.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 395
  • FDFF9FBE-5C34-409F-804F-3F16BA0E375E.jpeg
    FDFF9FBE-5C34-409F-804F-3F16BA0E375E.jpeg
    188.8 KB · Views: 395
Big Block":v418kxjk said:
PeachyPM":v418kxjk said:
Love these old Mafac gum hoods, any ideas on softening/preserving? Vaseline has been suggested but I’m worried that might be too aggressive.

Vaseline is a petroleum based product and should be kept away from rubber.

After doing my normal research, I use Aerospace 303 Outdoor Protectorant for old rubber products.

Cheers Big Block, I had my suspicions re vasoline so thanks for the link, the product blurb reads well, has your experience with it been as successful?

PeachyPM":2qo2jgse said:
has your experience with it been as successful?
that is why I have recommended it.

here
and the enquirer was happy to recommend it to others and so he saved me the need to repeat myself.

I have a set of GB Superhoods rubber hoods which I have treated before impending installation, and I will also treat a set of Dare handlebar sleeves before I attempt to install. These items are getting hard to find and I like to give them the best chance.

I treat all my vintage rubber components with it.

PeachyPM":3i3txx3p said:
“Shame you didn’t bring some bits after all” she says :D

Forward planning, always comes in handy I find. ;)

allenh":1pw0f5ax said:
PeachyPM":1pw0f5ax said:
“Shame you didn’t bring some bits after all” she says :D

Forward planning, always comes in handy I find. ;)

I always was a good Boy Scout Allen! :cool:

Home safe and sound in Yorkshire now and find myself kicking my heals as the spokes I ordered are waiting for me at work.... what to do?
Well I still have Legrandfromage’s colouring set so I thought I’d finish off the hubs... the sharp eyed amongst you might notice the rear is a 1984 Mallard version of the classic NORMANDY large flange 36 hole, still all the same vital statistics as the early 60’s version, only real difference being the stamp.

Attachments

• 27CA8F3F-9D97-494B-A4AD-092A43E0B6B2.jpeg
    27CA8F3F-9D97-494B-A4AD-092A43E0B6B2.jpeg
    219.1 KB · Views: 269
Re:

After viewing the red detailing a few times, I am liking it.
It will help tie some of the details together for my current project.
Mine move at glacial speed, yours move at warp speed.

Any more updates?

Re: Re:

Big Block":1mw465sz said:
After viewing the red detailing a few times, I am liking it.
It will help tie some of the details together for my current project.
Mine move at glacial speed, yours move at warp speed.

Any more updates?

Cheers Big Block,
Yes, back to work today after a couple of weeks on our family holiday, so came home with the new stainless steel double butter spokes. Wheels both laced now, ready to be dropped off at my LBS for tensioning.

Attachments

• 707EFD65-72D9-465E-B6D5-FC16E51760AC.jpeg
    707EFD65-72D9-465E-B6D5-FC16E51760AC.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 216
Back