Peugeot Premiere - when does this date from?

Lorenzo99

Retro Newbie
Early 80s? Have the impression that the Peugeot logos changed by the mid 80s or so, became more muscular and, er, 80s.

Weinmann brakes, Lyotard pedals and Sachs Huret gears but I don't know if they are original as the bike has been totally stripped and refurbished so they might have been borrowed. Seller label just says "Cycles Peugeot UK Ltd, Bedford". Which is nice.

Any knowledge out there would be gratefully received, I am v ignorant about bikes, I just liked the look of this one and snapped it up last weekend in London - paradoxically having just moved back to the UK two weeks ago after 17 years in France where I never rode a bike ...

Attachments

• PeugeotPremiere.jpg
    PeugeotPremiere.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 683
Re:

The serial number on the bottom bracket will confirm its age, probably `85 - ish . They usually start with a letter B or Y and then a series of numbers , the first number is the year for example Y5433261 would be a 1985 manufacture.

Re: Re:

marshalllucky":2pg56t6h said:
The serial number on the bottom bracket will confirm its age, probably `85 - ish . They usually start with a letter B or Y and then a series of numbers , the first number is the year for example Y5433261 would be a 1985 manufacture.

Thank you for your help, am most grateful. I did not know to look there. I am getting B 04 then five more numbers. Am guessing that means 1980, possibly 4th week thereof or April?

Sorry for the useless photo, I am a bit functionally incompetent and do not know how to reduce the resolution so as to be allowed to upload it. Yes, the cable goes through the top tube

Re: Re:

Lorenzo99":2e1iq407 said:
marshalllucky":2e1iq407 said:

Thank you for your help, am most grateful. I did not know to look there. I am getting B 04 then five more numbers. Am guessing that means 1980, possibly 4th week thereof or April?

That is odd, the rainbow stripes didnt appear until 1983 and lasted until 1988 in the UK. Yours appears to have the Peugeot cycles UK sticker at the bottom of the seat tube ? meaning it is a UK spec model ( the premier was actually the bottom of the sports range in the UK ) could the 0 not be a 6? as the internal brake cable featured on the premiere from the 1986 catalogue onwards .

Re:

Decals look mid 1980's. 86 or 87 would be my guess, but that serial number should pin the year down.

Back