1961 Claud Butler Super Coureur #9081 (Entente cordiale)

Peachy!

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Claud Butler Fan
VCC Claud Butler ME
Feedback
View
*** It won RBotM April '21***
So, the Yank has been hung up for a while…. and I need to be kept busy (or I get bored and start cruising bloody e-bay) so my thoughts started turning towards the next frame in the queue…. I have this Belgium be-flagged 1961 Super Coureur, early Holdsworth jobby, nice size, reasonably tidy (although a pump peg had been snapped off and a hole had been drilled into the underside of the top tube to bolt on a replacement! So some small repair work required, which would damage some paintwork.
I’ve never been too keen on the Belgium colour scheme, just a bit too dull for me and the tricolour on the headtube never really worked as the black gets lost along with the black paint, so it looks like an off centre red & yellow band. Now amongst the catalogue specifications for paint, a French job is listed, I have seen a photograph of one and always thought it looked rather striking. So, after being inspired by LeGrandFromage’s Daniel Salmon with all its French kit, I’m going to attempt a Frenched Claud……..

Attachments

• Super Courier.b.jpg
    Super Courier.b.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 3,716
  • Super Courier.a.jpg
    Super Courier.a.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 3,716
Last edited:
French isn’t a dirty word you know! Job…. Now that is a dirty word……. :facepalm:

Any hoo, you lot might not like the idea, but I think its gonna look magnifique! :cool:

I’ve looked through my magic box of bits and managed to gather together the following;

From the 60’s & 70's
Nervar Sport 155 (60's - 70's)
Lyotard 460d pedals (60's)
Christophe 496 Special clips (60's)
Huret 700 front derailleur (Mid 60's)
Philippe Mil Remo stem (Mid 60's)
MAFAC Course 419 brake levers tan gum hoods (Mid 60's)
A set of Maillard Normandy Sport hubs, high flange, oblong holes. 36h front & back (Mid 60's)
Pelissier bars (60's - 70's?)
Weinmann AG Alesa 210 aluminium rims (Swiss- but made in Belgium, so a nod to the original paint job) (Late 60's)
Huret Super Allvit long cage model (Early 70's)
Huret Allvit/Luxe double shifters (Early 70's)
Maillard 5 speed freewheel (70's)
TDC BB cups & C5 133mm cottered axle (60's)
GB “PARIS” bar plugs

What I’m looking for now are some Mafac Racer centre pull brakes…..

Attachments

• CoureurBits.jpeg
    CoureurBits.jpeg
    194.7 KB · Views: 3,666
  • SuperCoureur61.jpg
    SuperCoureur61.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 3,665
87 views and not one comment :?: Not even a complaint :?: :(

Maybe I have judged this one wrong? :? Qui vivra verra :cool:

Re:

Well I like the idea and am looking forward to seeing how it works out.

Vive la difference!

Re:

You're right about the Belgian flag on the headtube. it's a shame it doesn't quite work. I love the idea, and I'm looking forward to seeing the French version. Will you be sending the frame over to Bob Jackson's? :D

Re: Re:

NeilM":tisgy0cy said:
Well I like the idea and am looking forward to seeing how it works out.

Vive la difference!

Goldie":tisgy0cy said:
You're right about the Belgian flag on the headtube. it's a shame it doesn't quite work. I love the idea, and I'm looking forward to seeing the French version. Will you be sending the frame over to Bob Jackson's? :D

Merci, mes amis! And yes, she's already at Bob Jacksons (actually the day before the original post, so please excuse a little poetic licence)

No chrome on this one, & I already had a bunch of appropriate decals so it should be a pretty quick turnaround... possibly in time for a 60's - 70's themed RBotM ?

What am I saying! I don't want that pressure again..... :facepalm:

I managed to make a little time this afternoon whilst the rest of the gang disappeared into the house bemoaning the heat! :cool:

The Nervar crank set came up a treat with a little tinfoil and water. so, I thought I'd remove the odd looking green paint and replace with something a little more in keeping with the new colour scheme... :D

Attachments

• file2-12.jpeg
    file2-12.jpeg
    220.2 KB · Views: 3,533
Looking forward to seeing this one progress as well.
I do agree that the Belgium scheme whilst sounding good, just doesn't come together due to the black. The French scheme sounds like a great choice and sounds like it should really stand out.
Another week until the next themed RBotM , you've got a head start already :)

Jamie

Another impressive looking Claud on the way me thinks

If you struggle to get the Mafac's DM me, I know I've got some but am not sure they're old enough so will have a look if needed.

allenh":fssucezz said:
Another impressive looking Claud on the way me thinks

If you struggle to get the Mafac's DM me, I know I've got some but am not sure they're old enough so will have a look if needed.

Cheers Allen,

DM'ing now......

Back