TJ QUICK mid to late 1950's Frame

Mr Weirdo

Retro Guru
Hello

I own or so I am told a mid to late 1950's TJ QUICK Bicycle (frame). The bottom bracket has 83 or it could be 93 stamped on it and I believe the lugs could be nervex?

I have seen similar lugs on some of the older Holdsworth frames.

Q..So is this a TJ QUICK or maybe a Holdsworth?

Q..What is the bracket on the rear chain stay for? Is it for a kick stand or as the local bicycle shop owner said maybe for a rear foot brake pedal?

Any info or opinions would be welcome. Many thanks.

PS I did try and download some pictures but I am being informed the file is too big. So how do I make the pictures smaller?

Just had a thought if it was a Nervex Set all round maybe the number stamped on the bottom bracket (83 or 93) relates to that set?

I have been able to upload the original sale pic.

Attachments

• $_86.JPG
    $_86.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 630
A handsome bike, I like seeing lugs picked out in this way.

I'm no expert but if the bracket you refer to is the same that can be seen in the photo then it does look similar to the thing braised onto my Pashley Roadster for reacting the torque from the rear hub brake.

Cheers, Jack

Thanks Jack

Yes I see what you mean I looked at a pic of the Pashley Guvnor. I will have to read up a bit more about that as it is something I have no knowledge of.

I can assume maybe it is a touring frame? The seller told me he bought it in about 1957 from a bicycle shop in Barnes, it was a bit rough round the edges and he put all new components on (shame that) and resprayed it the colours seen above, that's the 1950's for you! He was told it was a TJ QUICK.

I would love to put a makers name on it but I really am not sure.

Back again.....Just to add add more info....

On the rear ends SIMPLEX JUY or it could be JUY SIMPLEX is stamped. It surprised me as I thought Simplex made the the derailleurs, etc only so why is it stamped on the frame itself?

Help!!!

Ps I mean dropouts of course....

Back