Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:12 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:33 pm 
Retro Guru

I think your hub is the original version , where as mine was the one with 8 fingers that slowly broke up .

Speaking to my lbs it was a fairly common fault and failure .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:05 am 
Retro Guru

:mrgreen: I do like Green.... nice to see another slow burn thread, it’ll keep gnawing away at THM! :twisted:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:11 am 
GOLD | PoTM | Rider | rBOTM
GOLD | PoTM | Rider | rBOTM

Not looking.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:37 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

Looking forward to seeing this progress as it looks pretty nice now and should build back up nicely.
Loving the colour as well. :)

Jamie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:46 am 
Dirt Disciple

Good to see a pic of the Lenton, lookin grand, in original spec too, see it has the optional front dynahub and sturmey archer lighting as well. Is the front hub also dated 1951? (ties in with the rear?). Judging by the lugs, the frame definitely looks 1950/51. Did you get the original Renold Elite chain with the bike?

In my experience the stays as originally provided were always of variable length - you've been unlucky!
Unless the you can swap front to rear, guess your only option is to source a replacement rear V-stay. The rear was always a bit longer than the front, so watch out for that one!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:15 pm 
Dirt Disciple

P.S. meant mudguard stays, not any other stay!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:32 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Craigmount wrote:
Good to see a pic of the Lenton, lookin grand, in original spec too, see it has the optional front dynahub and sturmey archer lighting as well. Is the front hub also dated 1951? (ties in with the rear?). Judging by the lugs, the frame definitely looks 1950/51. Did you get the original Renold Elite chain with the bike?

In my experience the stays as originally provided were always of variable length - you've been unlucky!
Unless the you can swap front to rear, guess your only option is to source a replacement rear V-stay. The rear was always a bit longer than the front, so watch out for that one!

Good to hear from you. The spec is pretty original I think. A few of the bits are replacements (including the mudguards and front lamp... and obviously the BB spindle!) but they're all period correct as far as I'm aware. I'm still looking for a few original parts, including a pump and rear lamp. I've got a NOS bullet type SA lamp, as fitted as standard to my Wayfarer. It compliments the front lamp but obviously not original spec.

I tried to find an original chain but was ultimately unsuccessful. I'm making do with a KMC Z-10 (I think) until I find something better: the Z-10 is just a bit too shiny, if your know what I mean?

The saddle is, if not original then certainly aged. It's splitting at some of the rivets and the tensioning nut is seized. Despite this it's comfortable (more than I had hoped tbf) so I'll ride it until it can take no more!

Interesting regarding the stays, it seems as though that is the answer. I'll get some ordered asap

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:15 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi Jack, can be difficult tracking down an original pump for the bike, however the other stuff should be available with a bit of patience/perseverance (EBay?)
Worth getting the Renold Elite chain, they just seem to go on and on - my '56 Lenton sports still has its original Renold Elite which still does the biz!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/150694254 ... ateposted/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:47 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Speak of the devil and he shall appear! (or something...)

Renold Elite chain acquired this afternoon via eBay... pricier than the Z-10 but worth it! :roll: haha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:10 am 
Dirt Disciple

Put a few miles on the Lenton over the past couple of weeks, 45 miles or so in short rides before work to avoid the heat.

The replacement Renold Elite chain has arrived but remains unfitted. I've also ordered some new mudguard stays to sort out the alignment of the rear, especially. I still need to acquire some suitable bolts to attach them to the frame to replace the cable ties :facepalm: Anyone know, off the top of their head, the thread size needed?

I've found what looks to me like period suitable SA rear lamp on ebay...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-bicy ... 1438.l2649

... any thoughts about whether its right for the bike?

Nothing will be happening for a week or two though as I came off yesterday after clipping one of the slalom type gates that they insist on placing on otherwise delightful cycle paths converted from railway lines :oops: Thankfully the bike survived without damage, unlike my wrist and pride.

Cheers, Jack