• Patch it up & push it on

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 100% Bells & Whistles Restoration

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • History preserving Retro-Mod

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: 1949 Claud Butler Olympic Path #931600E (Stars & Stripes)

Getting a little excited… :shock: I think I’ve found something just a little different….. :D
When I first stripped the bike down, I of course took good care of what was being removed, but as the parts were so caked in muck & rust, I only gave them a cursory glance before I popped them in ‘the dip’.
One such set of parts that I didn’t spend much time looking at was the head-set, I knew what it was, another (albeit rare) Brampton Alatet, possibly a Mk1 if the name stamp was the right way up
Now, although I said this project has come to a pause, that doesn’t mean I’m just going to bag it all up and throw it into the corner, no I’m going to clean all the (supposed to be) bright stuff up as much as possible, then put them in the waiting box ready for the next trip to the platers.
Now, have a look at the photos below, on the left a Brampton Alatet Mk1 from my 1955 CB Tour of Britain frame set. on the right, is what I pulled of the ’49 Olympic Path…. Almost exactly the same right? Wrong… it’s a GNUTTI Export with UK threads and (25.4 x 24tpi) & UK bearings (20 x 5/32”) top and bottom!
On closer inspection, its much sharper, the machining is crisper. I wonder if this was copied by Brampton? Or maybe made under licence?
Any ho, its going on Velobase…… :cool:

Attachments

• GNUTTI Export - Copy.jpeg
    GNUTTI Export - Copy.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 1,074
  • GNUTTI Export Italy - Copy.jpeg
    GNUTTI Export Italy - Copy.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 1,074
  • Brampton Alatet Mk1.jpeg
    Brampton Alatet Mk1.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 1,074
  • Spot The Difference .jpeg
    Spot The Difference .jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 1,074

I've got nothing to add of use apart from a general thanks for posting and please keep it up. I've enjoyed following your builds and look forward to more to come.

Cheers, Jack

Cheers Jack/Skylark.
Are you building anything?

Just fiddling with a Raleigh Lenton for the time being... getting plenty of inspiration though :)

skylark":33lt7xxl said:
Just fiddling with a Raleigh Lenton for the time being... getting plenty of inspiration though :)

Start a thread in Readers Rides, you’ll be surprised how helpful some of this lot can be! :cool:

skylark":2htly7ik said:
PeachyPM":2htly7ik said:
skylark":2htly7ik said:

Start a thread in Readers Rides, you’ll be surprised how helpful some of this lot can be! :cool:

I did just that :)

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=386620

Very helpful so far!
You’re still a cad and a bounder

Last post on the “Stars & Stripes” for a while, the Gnutti headset and crank set have gone along with the Cinelli stem to the chrome platers along with a few bits & bats… they won’t be back for months as they will be fitted in whenever convenient to keep the price down.
As for the frame, I dug out some old Simoniz, still smells fantastic… and I spent a while carefully giving the old frame a little karate kid treatment (wax on, wax off)….

Whilst engaged in this therapeutic pastime, I started musing about the next one & had been perusing this month’s selection of RBotM, and in particular the French fancy of LeGrandFromage, his Daniel Salmon… and my eyes fell on (more like looked up at) my 1961 Super Coureur, currently in Belgium colours and I started humming La Marseillaise and imagining a Claud Butler dripping in French mustard rather than Italian dressing…

Attachments

• WaxOnWaxOff.jpeg
    WaxOnWaxOff.jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 963
  • DadWax.jpeg
    DadWax.jpeg
    222.6 KB · Views: 963
  • ToBeChromed.jpeg
    ToBeChromed.jpeg
    286 KB · Views: 963

Latest posts

Back