1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports

skylark

Dirt Disciple
For what it's worth I thought I try and post a picture and some information about my 1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports. Not the rarest of bikes but a good'un!

It's a 23" frame machine. The frame number suggests it might be either 1950/51 but the 4-speed alloy hub is stamped 1951 so I suppose that says it all really.

The bike is the original spec. but a few of the parts have been sourced to build the bike back up from what I bought from eBay. Special thanks for once again to Craigmount for digging out a replacement spindle (see the thread on the other page if interested). The mudguards came from a Rudge Pathfinder, an eBay win this time. The original spec. can of course be found on Sheldon Brown's Retro Raleighs page.

Mechanically the bike is good, I'm particuarly pleased how lucky I've been with the alloy 4 speed hub which functions well in all four gears (even the tricky bottom one). The indicator toggle chain looks fragile but I'm confident I can replace that in due course.

Cosmetically the bike is good in places, scruffy in others. I like the look of a machine in original condition so I'll leave it alone for the most part.

I've got a few questions about the bike, which is new to me but I'll save them for once i get the picture to post!

Jack

Attachments

• Lenton Sports 2.jpg
    Lenton Sports 2.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 1,420
Re:

Just over £100 sounds about right... not much detail in the description about the bike IIRC? I took a bit of a punt on it because Northampton isn't too far from me and I was hoping it was a 4 speed, which it turned out to be.

Thanks for being so understanding :D

The photo doesn't seem to show?! :cry: Any ideas?

Northampton was worth the drive for me. I hope you never see a pedal turned.

Well actually, I have too many any way. You have to attach a smaller version of your picture to your post. Files have to be small or hosted by a third party site.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it you swine.

If you get bored..........

Re:

HOORAH!

Managed to post the picture... I completely missed the "Upload attachment" box :facepalm:

I think I'll ride it for the rest of the summer before pulling it apart again and properly cleaning etc. In the meantime though, what do you think of the rear mudguard? Too close to the rear wheel? How would you modify this to increase the clearance? The plastic/rubber don't seem to touch when on the move.

Cheers, Jack

Re:

I do like Lentons. There's something really nice about the idea of having a well made bike which is also practical and well equipped.

Would moving the back wheel forward in the drop outs slightly help the mudguard look its best?

Thanks for the replies!

Done a few miles on the Lenton over the last few days, ever mile makes me smile just a little bit more. Lovely.

I've tried moving the wheel forward a bit but the chain tension goes to pot... i could maybe take another link out but i think this would make the centre-centre distance too small. I'm using a KMC Z-10 chain if memory serves correctly, does this sound right?

New stays are a good option i reckon, just thought I'd make sure i wasn't missing anything stupid though beforehand.

Cheers, Jack

Re:

I was another watcher on this but decided against it as one Lenton is all you need and seeing as i have one already

Hope you enjoy it , watch the rear hub my fm one self destructed slowly

Mine is currently my daily commuter

See my post on cycle chat My 50's Raleigh Roadster

Re:

Thanks for holding off on the bidding, it was obviously my lucky day!

Anything in particular to look out for with the hub, from your experience? I'd planned to leave it alone as it seems to be working alright so far.

Cheers, Jack

Back