1954 Claud Butler Jubilee Special #5412 8509

A very lovely build, certainly well worth the wait :)
Very interested to see how it progress's after riding and fettling for a while. Certainly looks brilliant and with the components and running gear I would imagine it rides and handles beautifully.

Jamie

Jamiedyer":3m618s6f said:
A very lovely build, certainly well worth the wait :)
Very interested to see how it progress's after riding and fettling for a while. Certainly looks brilliant and with the components and running gear I would imagine it rides and handles beautifully.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie,
She flies like the wind! and is very responsive. Jim & I went to a "vintage" rally today predominantly 40's stuff, both bikes of course received lots of interest and pleasant comments, but the best bit for me was riding home on a particular long, smooth slow descent, the speed with that 52t was ridiculous! climbing up the other side was bloody hard work though, so I will be investigating a smaller crank I think....

And one for Legrandfromage......Jaaaaaags!

Attachments

• 1955 Claud Butler Jubilee Special (8) - Copy.jpeg
    1955 Claud Butler Jubilee Special (8) - Copy.jpeg
    260.6 KB · Views: 638
  • Jaaaags.jpeg
    Jaaaags.jpeg
    271.5 KB · Views: 638
Big Block":1be58889 said:
The History Man":1be58889 said:
A really nice job.

Not sure about the cables though. Do they need to be split and both go over the bars.
or in front

PeachyPM":1be58889 said:
Brake levers - GB Simple
GB Standard
Your levers are missing the brass adjusters (seen in the above image)

Both good ideas, but I have already tried both…. The problem stems from the long spearpoint.. (see what I did there? Comedy gold) :facepalm: with it being so long, the front brake cable won’t flow smoothly in front of the bars and the rear brake doesn’t flow over the bars very nicely either. It looks a lot better front on this way.

As for the GB Levers, yes I am on the look out for the brass adjusters, the little aluminium ferrules are something I converted on my lathe just to tidy them up. as for adjusting, I'll just have to set the cables again.

P.S. thanks for spotting the missing 'Standard', I new it began with S, just couldnt remeber exactly what! :shock:

how may times do you see the bike front on? most view from sides. Most pics from sides too. And in any case, it's making me twitch now.

PeachyPM":3s42fu0j said:
Both good ideas, but I have already tried both…. The problem stems from the long spearpoint.. (see what I did there? Comedy gold) :facepalm: with it being so long, the front brake cable won’t flow smoothly in front of the bars and the rear brake doesn’t flow over the bars very nicely either. It looks a lot better front on this way.

As for the GB Levers, yes I am on the look out for the brass adjusters, the little aluminium ferrals are something I converted on my lathe just to tidy them up. as for adjusting, I'll just have to set the cables again.

For the GB stem with the spearpoint:
42278735874_ceefda7080_b.jpg

In Australia, there is a big difference between what is a feral/ferral and a ferrule. I wouldn't want a feral anywhere near my bikes.
Count the number of spearpoints in the photo.

Only a personal preference, but the harsh transition from the shrouded cable to the bare cable at the first cable stop/guide is exactly what I don't like, hence my rear cable goes under the bar and has a much smoother transition…

The History Man":bk7y96ia said:
how may times do you see the bike front on? most view from sides. Most pics from sides too. And in any case, it's making me twitch now.

Twitch away my friend...... this is how she will role for the foreseeable future...

Attachments

• Smooth.jpeg
    Smooth.jpeg
    40 KB · Views: 641
:facepalm: Ok ok, I'll try the front brake cable in front of the bars again...... if it will stop the twitching! :p :p

Back