Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:32 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:35 pm 
GOLD | PoTM | Rider | rBOTM
GOLD | PoTM | Rider | rBOTM

Weirdos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:48 pm 
Retro Guru

The History Man wrote:
Weirdos

You're just afraid of the unknown...... :P

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:54 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Location: Gorleston-on-sea (If there is a bright center to the universe this is place furthest from it
The History Man wrote:
Weirdos

That's another 10%

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:48 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

Been running tubs for quite some time with just Jantex tub tape. No issues really, just fit them properly, it might take a few goes but once they're on...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:58 pm 
Retro Guru

legrandefromage wrote:
Been running tubs for quite some time with just Jantex tub tape. No issues really, just fit them properly, it might take a few goes but once they're on...

Ah ha! at last, the Big Cheese has joined in! about time...... :D :D :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:00 pm 
Retro Guru

Peachy, do you mind me asking who built up your wheels? I have just spent a dispiriting three days offering to pay actual cash money to local bike shops to build up some Nisi Evian rims and nice large flange hubs for me, and none of them were up for it.

I'm in Scarborough, so I'm hoping that whoever put yours together might not be too far from me!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:24 pm 
Retro Guru

I am off to France tonight. But would have done your wheels for the price of posting them back to you. If you are not sorted in the next couple of weeks message me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:29 pm 
Retro Guru

Goldie wrote:
Peachy, do you mind me asking who built up your wheels? I have just spent a dispiriting three days offering to pay actual cash money to local bike shops to build up some Nisi Evian rims and nice large flange hubs for me, and none of them were up for it.

I'm in Scarborough, so I'm hoping that whoever put yours together might not be too far from me!

Hello Goldie, I laced up my own wheels.... its child’s play (see picture of my 11 year old) seriously, it’s not as hard as you might think. the difficult bit is the truing/finishing, this I do leave to my LBS in Driffield.
First though, you need to get your spoke length right. that’s easy if you are replacing spokes, just place a steel rule up under the ‘J’ end and read the measurement at the very tip of the threaded end. If you don’t know the length, because maybe you are fitting a different hub diameter, you will need a spoke calculator. Plenty on the tinterweb but by far the best (in my opinion) is Damon Rinard’s which you can download for free from Sheldon Brown http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm

As for wheel building, all you need to know is also on Sheldon Browns page; https://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

But if you don’t have access to a printer, laptop or the missus wont let you build stuff indoors, then a good set of pictorial instructions can be found in “Bike maintenance” magazine sold in WH Smiths. My son found this the most useful reference as he could more easily understand the photos. I bought it to find out how to remove some alien post 90's parts off of a 60's frame.

As for truing, contact Derek at http://www.eastgatecycles.com/
He will true a wheel for £10, and no doubt you could ask him if he would lace a wheel as well. Don’t be put off by his tiny shop, neatly displaying 2nd hand mostly kids bikes, that’s how he makes a living. It’s the old school skills he uses in his workshop that you need.

Attachment:
spoke.jpeg
spoke.jpeg [ 298.42 KiB | Viewed 424 times ]

Attachment:
wheel.jpeg
wheel.jpeg [ 338.4 KiB | Viewed 424 times ]

Attachment:
file1-3.jpeg
file1-3.jpeg [ 388.69 KiB | Viewed 414 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:38 am 
Retro Guru

T– minus (RBotM June) 9 days & counting

Last nights wash & brush-up paid dividends… these Brampton B8’s came up just fine.

Attachments:
B8B.jpeg
B8B.jpeg [ 385.85 KiB | Viewed 407 times ]
Christophe.jpeg
Christophe.jpeg [ 351.99 KiB | Viewed 407 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:09 am 

As a new subscriber, I'm very interested in this build.

I also have a Jubilee, 1952, with matching frame and fork numbers 5212 6004.

The result of the cleaning of the pedals. Is that a result of using evapo-rust? What else did you have to do to get this result? (Its not a product that I am familiar with).

I've attached a picture, but will upload some more details to the gallery. Built in 2009 for use in the 2nd and 3rd Tweed Rides in London. (Lost interest after that due to blatent commercialization of the event).

Attachments:
SAM_4913.JPG
SAM_4913.JPG [ 447.46 KiB | Viewed 392 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next