1954 Claud Butler Jubilee Special #5412 8509

The History Man":15nz84m2 said:

You're just afraid of the unknown...... :p

Been running tubs for quite some time with just Jantex tub tape. No issues really, just fit them properly, it might take a few goes but once they're on...

legrandefromage":1p9dy843 said:
Been running tubs for quite some time with just Jantex tub tape. No issues really, just fit them properly, it might take a few goes but once they're on...

Ah ha! at last, the Big Cheese has joined in! about time...... :D :D :D :D :D :D

Peachy, do you mind me asking who built up your wheels? I have just spent a dispiriting three days offering to pay actual cash money to local bike shops to build up some Nisi Evian rims and nice large flange hubs for me, and none of them were up for it.

I'm in Scarborough, so I'm hoping that whoever put yours together might not be too far from me!

Re:

I am off to France tonight. But would have done your wheels for the price of posting them back to you. If you are not sorted in the next couple of weeks message me.

Goldie":2uda1fo0 said:
Peachy, do you mind me asking who built up your wheels? I have just spent a dispiriting three days offering to pay actual cash money to local bike shops to build up some Nisi Evian rims and nice large flange hubs for me, and none of them were up for it.

I'm in Scarborough, so I'm hoping that whoever put yours together might not be too far from me!

Hello Goldie, I laced up my own wheels.... its child’s play (see picture of my 11 year old) seriously, it’s not as hard as you might think. the difficult bit is the truing/finishing, this I do leave to my LBS in Driffield.
First though, you need to get your spoke length right. that’s easy if you are replacing spokes, just place a steel rule up under the ‘J’ end and read the measurement at the very tip of the threaded end. If you don’t know the length, because maybe you are fitting a different hub diameter, you will need a spoke calculator. Plenty on the tinterweb but by far the best (in my opinion) is Damon Rinard’s which you can download for free from Sheldon Brown http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm

As for wheel building, all you need to know is also on Sheldon Browns page; https://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

But if you don’t have access to a printer, laptop or the missus wont let you build stuff indoors, then a good set of pictorial instructions can be found in “Bike maintenance” magazine sold in WH Smiths. My son found this the most useful reference as he could more easily understand the photos. I bought it to find out how to remove some alien post 90's parts off of a 60's frame.

As for truing, contact Derek at http://www.eastgatecycles.com/
He will true a wheel for £10, and no doubt you could ask him if he would lace a wheel as well. Don’t be put off by his tiny shop, neatly displaying 2nd hand mostly kids bikes, that’s how he makes a living. It’s the old school skills he uses in his workshop that you need.

Attachments

• wheel.jpeg
    wheel.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 597
  • spoke.jpeg
    spoke.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 597
  • file1-3.jpeg
    file1-3.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 587
T– minus (RBotM June) 9 days & counting

Last nights wash & brush-up paid dividends… these Brampton B8’s came up just fine.

Attachments

• Christophe.jpeg
    Christophe.jpeg
    185.7 KB · Views: 581
  • B8B.jpeg
    B8B.jpeg
    205.6 KB · Views: 581
As a new subscriber, I'm very interested in this build.

I also have a Jubilee, 1952, with matching frame and fork numbers 5212 6004.

The result of the cleaning of the pedals. Is that a result of using evapo-rust? What else did you have to do to get this result? (Its not a product that I am familiar with).

I've attached a picture, but will upload some more details to the gallery. Built in 2009 for use in the 2nd and 3rd Tweed Rides in London. (Lost interest after that due to blatent commercialization of the event).

Attachments

• SAM_4913.JPG
    SAM_4913.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 570
Back