1954 Claud Butler Jubilee Special #5412 8509

T– minus (RBotM June) 11 days & counting
A few days back, I was worrying about which way to go with the wheels, I had always planned on using a Sturmey Archer 4 speed FW (Four Wide ratio) as something a little different but still useful on the rolling East Yorkshire Wolds. But my 1958 FW unit was away being serviced… So plan B was to set her up as a 1/8th single speed cog that I would swap out…..

PeachyPM":357nkezk said:
The History Man":357nkezk said:
Single speed? Really?
Not the original plan, it was going to have a 4 speed Sturmey FW hub, but that needs stripping down & re-building as its only got 2nd, 3rd & 4th engaging at the moment and I don’t have time to do that and build this bike, so that will come latter..

But, hurrah! The hub is back! So a quick change of double butted spokes and we are back in business, matched with a tidy small flanged 32h Constrictor front hub and a pair of once rough but now beautiful Fiamme rims; 40h rear & 32h front. Oh, and some stickers from H Lloyds of course!

These have been dropped off this morning at my LBS, should be ready for pick-up Saturday morning.

Attachments

• ReadyToGo.jpeg
    ReadyToGo.jpeg
    269.5 KB · Views: 331
  • FinishedRim.jpeg
    FinishedRim.jpeg
    269.9 KB · Views: 331
  • Constrictor32h.jpeg
    Constrictor32h.jpeg
    197.1 KB · Views: 331
  • 1958SturmeyFW.jpeg
    1958SturmeyFW.jpeg
    259.5 KB · Views: 331
  • RoughRim.jpeg
    RoughRim.jpeg
    264.1 KB · Views: 331
got some nice NEW 10mm velox rim tapes you can have for £4 posted :mrgreen: I won't be needing them.

The History Man":1qdvrm6p said:
got some nice NEW 10mm velox rim tapes you can have for £4 posted :mrgreen: I won't be needing them.

Neither will Peachy....... Those are Tubular rims ;) :facepalm: :facepalm:

kermitgreenkona88":4vbn07c3 said:
The History Man":4vbn07c3 said:

Neither will Peachy....... Those are Tubular rims ;) :facepalm: :facepalm:

Weirdos.

Thanks for the offer THM, but, of course for reasons so eloquently expressed above I won’t have any use for them, however I will be using this; 16.5mm wide Effetto Mariposa Carogna tape as I cant be arsed to glue them and certainly won’t be going fast enough to roll them!

As for an opinion regarding tubulars, I've never ridden on them before, so this will a new life experience!

Attachments

• Effetto Mariposa Carogna.png
    Effetto Mariposa Carogna.png
    114.9 KB · Views: 595
T– minus (RBotM June) 10 days & counting

Right, better get on to the pedals, a pair of Brampton B8’s. I’ll strip them, clean them, then dip them in evapo-rust before a final polish… shouldn’t be too tiresome.

Attachments

• BramptobB8.jpeg
    BramptobB8.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 581
Re:

If that tape is as good as it looks, it might make Tubs a viable option at last. I used them for a short time B.I.T.D. rolled a couple (wished they made brown lycra).

Fortunately for me clincher technology was catching up at that time and I started running Mavic G40 rims and Michelin Hi-lite tyres, never looked back.

What Tubs are you going to Run ?

Re: Re:

kermitgreenkona88":1plbt0rt said:
If that tape is as good as it looks, it might make Tubs a viable option at last. I used them for a short time B.I.T.D. rolled a couple (wished they made brown lycra).

Fortunately for me clincher technology was catching up at that time and I started running Mavic G40 rims and Michelin Hi-lite tyres, never looked back.

What Tubs are you going to Run ?

I ran a mini poll/thread earlier in the year Tubular Tyres. A Beginner's Poll. and although not conclusive, it did generate some useful discusion.
I eventually plumed for a pair of Schwalbe Lugano T-active K-guard Tubular beige walled.

Attachments

• Schwalbe-Lugano-T-Active K-guard Silica.jpg
    Schwalbe-Lugano-T-Active K-guard Silica.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 563
Back