A guarded view of Eddie Soens

Re:

Lovely. I've learned few things here.
If it were me, I'd get the ends of the drops spirit-level parallel with the floor, else I'd fear evolving into someone who races in long socks with new-fangled indexed gears ;-) Lovely job man.

Re:

Thanks 504. Don't worry, I'm one of those who always races (well ride anyway) in short socks with trousers tucked in. I don't hold with those new fangled cycle clip things!

As to learning a few things - well, isn't this forum just great for that? Trouble is, I often seem to catch on too late...

Interesting tale - and bike. I had an Eddie Soens in the mid/late 60's and early 70's bought from a clubmate who had decided that cycling was not really for him. It was a Bill built frame obviously, from around '64, in 531 with chrome fork ends and head lugs, in Pale Blue enamel with metallic Red down tube panel. One thing that has 'surprised' me about your frame is that you have obtained 'Eddie Soens' down tube transfers. I have (I think!) never seen these, apart from a head tube one - and I am sure that mine was different to yours. The vast majority of Liverpool area built frames were enamelled by C&G Finishes and names etc. were all beautifully sign written including owners' names, club names etc. Real works of art. A photo of me 'in action' in a time trial in 1967 on the bike is attached and the name can be clearly seen. TBH, I never really 'got on' with this frame. It always felt rather 'sluggish' compared to my Harry Quinn but it served quite well for a winter bike for a couple of years.

I met Bill at a mutual friend's funeral about 18 months ago and we chatted for a while. As far as the shop was concerned, Bill ran it. Eddie's name was used to draw the customers in but he did show his face there from time to time. Eddie was 'the' coach on Merseyside and riders were always trying to catch his eye and get 'noticed'. I think he was also involved with boxing coaching which was a big thing in the area at the time.

BITD, there were lots of nationally good riders coming from Liverpool, I raced against many of them (completely unsuccesfully I might add!) and, depending on their club allegences, they tended to mainly ride either Eddie Soens, Jim Soens or Harry Quinn frames. And don't even begin to mention the inter-club rivalries!

Attachments

• RhosonSea25May67.1.jpg
    RhosonSea25May67.1.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 273
Re:

Hi OldNed. Thanks, yes it's an interesting bike - now for sale BTW in Readers' Road Bikes!

As to transfers, they came from steve at hlloydcycles. He has a huge - really huge! - range of transfers from way back. And can usually reproduce any that are not in stock. I would guess he made the decals from some original signwritten source, but I can't be sure. And of course there's the little Liver Bird in the middle, which may not have appeared on the originals. Check out his website.

Yes, C&G did most of the painting and signwriting BITD for north west makers. I believe they are still a going concern too. Simply, I couldn't afford the traditional respray route thus opted for the powdercoat finish that the bike now sports. Although I did splash out on the white panels - you may have read above that they cost me more than the full frame and forks powder coat...

I'm rather fond of powder coating actually - it's tough, shiny and comparatively cheap - around £50 for frame and forks. The firm I've used for the last three refurbs I've done recently do a lot of work for Lotus Cars here in Norfolk, so know their stuff.

Re:

A nice photo Old Ned, and a vindication of my string rule. I don't want to come across like I personally invented the fine art of decal/panel placement. The rule comes from empirical observation of nice old bikes, and from making my own mistakes! Like any rule, it's a good starting point from which one can deviate creatively.. It occurs to me that the 531 decal on the seat tube can sit on that line too.

My own feeling on paint on bikes is that, at least in my case, these are forty-odd year old thin walled tubes, some of which have been subjected to brazing temperature more than once. Anything that scrapes through the paint is likely to damage the tubes, so on 531db and such I actually prefer somewhat fragile paint that scars easily and reminds me to be careful. you know.. "The harder they come, the harder they fall."

That's my rationalisation anyway.. I'm still painting with a brush..

Back