Jack Taylor Super Clubman Barn Find - * small update page 14

Re:

I have spent way too much restoring certain frames, if it were mine I would find someone, like Argos, who could reproduce if not the original paint, then enough of it to pay tribute.

Re: Jack Taylor Super Clubman Barn Find - * small update page 3

Bob Jackson can respray with hand done double box lining to original red very reasonably. I can get the decals H Lloyds but have to get them individually as it has the Gothic downtube and head tube but then the Mondrian style on the downtube. They also now stock the right size world championship bands which I am told were previously really hard to find.
What I may do is build it with all the nice stuff and then ride it for the summer and then relook at painting it. I can't see it getting much worse in that time.

Jamie

Glad to see it out and about. For me when a frame gets that bad I'd paint it as the man said "If it needs painting...". Its still going to be a Taylor and it's not uncommon for frames of that age to be repainted.

Well out today on the Jack Taylor for a few miles this afternoon.
I am still treating it as shakedown rides as I am still trying to make a decision on what to do on various fronts, ie; the paint and also the build direction.
This was made a slight bit harder due to another frame entering the shed :)
First things first, due to it being really just mocked together originally to go round the block and see if it fitted, I wasn't really surprised to noticed the bottom bracket was loose and whilst undoing the crank bolts noticed that they too were not much more than finger tight. Once the BB was tightened and cranks nipped up I took the time to check and tighten everything else. Fitted my Carradice longflap saddle bag as I need to get my rack bag re-velcroed as it came off recently, just wear and tear as it gets used a lot, but the bag is still in great condition so will get it done. The longflap is a great bag but a bit too big for what I need.
Went out for a couple of hours with at least half of that pushing into the mother of all headwinds but I suppose I got the benefit of a good tailwind in other sections. Just a cruise round the coast looking at setup etc and while it has just been cobbled together with bits off the Mercian, cockpit and saddle/seatpost along with my Dura Ace 1st gen and 7400 running gear, levers etc with Mafac Racer brakes. While this is a good setup on it's own, it is not the setup I want for its final build which is a more touring orientated one. Stronglight triple, Nitto bars and stem etc. Saying that it does ride superbly, different from my others and just rides along in a fast but relaxed manner, I am really enjoying it.
Round the farms with a bit of gravel thrown in and then a quiet ride round the coast to then try and beat the rain home by heading inland. Got a few drops in the last kilometre so timed it just right. Not that far but enjoyable all the same.

Jamie

DSCN4931 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN4938 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN4940 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN4944 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Re: Jack Taylor Super Clubman Barn Find - * small update page 4

Lovely looking bike. I know there was some rust, but Id be preserving that paint work... great work.

That is delightful, I'd really like a Taylor one day - you were lucky this one came to you so easily!

Just found this thread Jamie,
I’d love to see this Taylor in all its former glory, and think a re-paint is what it deserves.
I’ve just collected two frames from Bob Jackson’s, one is the French job in my current thread, but the other has a bunch of box lining done on it. I was worried that it might not be quite as good as some real old school work from back in the day, but my worries were misplaced. It looks fantastic. So if you are having the work done at Bob’s you should be assured the box work will be ‘bob on’ :D

Re: Re:

lakesroadsheep":ocha9tf0 said:
I never saw a 531 sticker like that before. If you got it resprayed would you be able to find a replacement ? Nice bike

If photographed and measured properly, Steve at H Lloyd would reproduce it no problem (if he hasn’t already done the JT specials already)

Back