A guarded view of Eddie Soens

Re: Steel Scouser on the last lap

Of to the LBS for gears to be set up - beyond my experience sadly. Bar tape goes on when final brake lever positions decided.

Looks OK doesn't it?

Attachments

• neely1.JPG
    neely1.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 613
  • neely2.JPG
    neely2.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 613
Re:

That looks amazing, what an excellent build thread and bike.

I look forward to hearing how it rides.

Re:

Thank you Neil. Most kind. (The cheque's in the post)

But it has been an interesting build - it was serendipity; the bike wasn't really for sale at the time I stumbled across it. I can't honestly rememberhow I did so! It may have been the "it's going to a good home" approach that clinched the deal. (And the low price that set my head a'swivelling.)

I hope I've been as good as my word to the seller.

The bike may make an unannounced appearance at next year's Eddie Soens Memorial Race if I can convince my wife that it's worth motoring 200 miles for (and a night in a hotel) just for a bit of posing! Oh dear - I seem to have announced it...

Re: Road ready sixties steel scouser

Up and running at last. As expected, sadly it's too small for me (it's a 20.5"), but is a great, responsive and light ride (weighs in at just 25lbs). I said somewhere "hey, up with the saddle and away we go" but of course it's not just about that, The top tube is short as well, naturally, and the stem is too small and the bars (GB Maes) are too narrow and have had some cut off the hooks.

But it certainly looks well in my opinion and has repaid the work (not to mention the expense).

I think it would suit a small gent or lady of around five-two to five-six. I wonder if there's someone out there looking for a fully refurb'd small steed?

Some pics:

Attachments

• rr1.JPG
    rr1.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 561
  • rr2.JPG
    rr2.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 561
  • rr3.JPG
    rr3.JPG
    241.2 KB · Views: 561
  • rr4.JPG
    rr4.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 561
  • rr5.JPG
    rr5.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 561
  • rr6.JPG
    rr6.JPG
    174.5 KB · Views: 561
Here she (he) is, complete with mudguards. Ready to go to market. I have no idea of what she's worth, do you? I thought around £300?

Attachments

• guarded drive side.JPG
    guarded drive side.JPG
    256.4 KB · Views: 378
  • guarded non drive side.JPG
    guarded non drive side.JPG
    225 KB · Views: 378
Re:

SOS thank you. Yes the revelation of the welding came as quite a shock! I think that maybe the thread on the fixed cup side had become damaged and welding in the cup seemed to be the obvious solution. Nowadays, of course, there are alternative fixes by way of press fit bottom brackets and so on. I don't know how long they've been around? Probably not at the time when the damage was done.

But I had to accept that it had been done and the only way, to improve the look at least, was to get the "fettling gear" to work! I must say I am quite pleased how it knocked into shape - after painting the repair is invisible to all intents and purposes.

Of course, there's likely to be a knock on effect on the value of the bike sadly. Although I believe the repair - even as crude as it seemed - is very effective and unlikely to cause any problem in the future.

Re:

I doubt the repair will be an issue for thousands of miles yet, and let's be honest, even as excellent as the bike now looks, it will never cover that kind of mileage.

Re:

I like what you've done, but I feel compelled to alert you to the torqueless rule of downtube decal placement, which you can ignore or file for future reference as you see fit:

Stretch a string between the seatlug bolt and the front axle. Position the centre of your decal where that string crosses the downtube.

Yours are much lower down the length of the tube. I'm not saying it's wrong.. You might have your own rule..

Re:

Thanks both for your inputs. Yes NeilM, of course I hope the bike doesn't become "wall art"as some do. It deserves to be ridden but is unlikely to cover too many miles in the future.

I did try the string method but found it kept breaking when it caught on the pedal...but seriously it's a good rule torqueless. My rule has been - if it can be called that - "if it looks right, it is right". This has worked for me, whether by luck or judgement, on a few resorations - until my luck ran out this time!

And you're correct; those downtube decals are too low. They looked OK before the levers and chainset went on but were applied before the forks went in. I think a piece of string will be an essential part of my workshop tools from now on.

You'll probably notice too that the seat tube arrangement is a bit low - due to my failure to give clear enough guidance to the guy who sprayed the panels. Although I'd taken careful note of positioning of the band-on front changer, it still obscures a wee bit of the lowest R/W/B transfer. Hey ho!

Latest posts

Back