Bontrager road lite xl

fritzlite

Senior Retro Guru
FINALLY.. i got a hold of a Bontrager road lite... been looking for one for.. well, 20 years.. really searching for one for 10 years.
Got a Bontrager cx here in Denmark, in ca 2000, witch i love..and have built i many configurations... the handling, light steel...uhm..(but a small, always felt to ..well, small..)
I know Bontrager cx and road lite, pop op i the states, but getting it to Denmark, it will double..at least, in costs..
so been looking in europe...and they are rare,...
Got a hot tip from a German user on this site, one for sale on german site... and made a sweet deal for this Beauty...

Full bike, campy centaur 10 speed, roox stem, bars, seatpost.. syncros threaded headset.. centaur rear hub, Ck front...open pro rims.

First pic of bike when i got it...
sold the centaur gruppo.. and put my own semi modern bits on.. second pic

Tune hubs, sram crankset, ult brakes... campy carbon ergos.. a work in progress

3. pic.. with velo orange porteur handlebars... my back dosent like dropbars anymore, and the sort of riding i do these days, are more fun rides.. than racing.

i know my build will rise eyebrows, ..(and yes, hole in the flite alps...)... but background as a messenger, so mixed groups and retromod... are all ok with me..

Looking for parts... 1" black ck 2nut fitting,(could swap for the silver Syncros headset...rare!) as theres room for a spacer on the forks... (and will not cut it)... 26.8 black thomson (could swap for roox s4 or easton ct2 carbon,...both 26.:cool: .. black 22.2 portuer handlebars..(if they exist?)...
And Black Tune crankset...square.
i have a black Tune hubset...32 hole...and a bontrager/ck hubset..24/28...from a gary fisher mtb, ...i been thinking about getting build...

Attachments

• 17-10-08 (3)_InPixio.jpg
    17-10-08 (3)_InPixio.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 1,446
  • 18-03-25 (10)_InPixio_InPixio.jpg
    18-03-25 (10)_InPixio_InPixio.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 1,446
  • Bontrager road lite xl  (1)_InPixio.jpg
    Bontrager road lite xl (1)_InPixio.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 1,445
For me Mk2 is the best, but I dont mind mk3. I think it would look better with the black CK headset, (and without the spacer!)

Lovely to see another one, and who cares about the 'original' build, if it works for you and keeps a bike on the road then it's exactly the right build :)

I've had my Road Lite for a few years now and it is 100% in the 'never going to sell this' category, just a sublime ride in every way.

thanks... and yes, CTK, looking for a black ck headset
amedias... i agree, this is a will-never-sell-frameset... any pics of yours?

btw... i weighs 8.1 kg at the moment, last build....( its not a lightweight project),... still stable, light, comfy...and fun..

I will try and stick some pics of mine up when I have a moment spare, it's been through a few build iterations and currently mid-fettle in the workshop

Re:

ups...did it again..

this popped up, in Esbjerg...small town on the other side of Denmark..
wrong decals...says Bontrager OR on the toptube(?)… but deffo a Bontrager road lite..
made a lowball offer, and got postage for a good price..
not to keen on the paint and decals...so lets see

Attachments

• bonty esbjerg resize_InPixio.jpg
    bonty esbjerg resize_InPixio.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 530
Re:

You wait for 20 years, and then 2 come along in the space of 2 years :LOL:
Both lovely looking bikes though, the bar tape on your most recent find is pretty flamboyant :cool:

Latest posts

Back