Jack Taylor Super Clubman Barn Find - * small update page 14

Re:

Very nice find Jamie,

perhaps there's now an argument for separate threads - for race and touring ?

I then can add my Philbrook.

Jon.

Re: Jack Taylor Super Clubman Barn Find

Heather just said from the background 'they are all on a shoogly peg' but being Australian, I don't speak this strange language ;)

We did sort of go pretty all out for the Big Dummy and while it's slightly different because it most likely wouldn't have come if it wasn't for Caleb, I did say that I realise that it is getting to saturation point. I had let go of anything I wasn't going to build and use. My Surlys all get used for different things and the Merckx is family from new and Heather would never let me sell it anyway. I did say that it would have to be one in , one out as I thought I had everything I would/could need but then along came Jack ;)
Luckily my wife is very understanding and realises that the Mercian is a lovely machine and so for now is in the loft dismantled and laying low, the other 'saving' grace is that the Jack has cost very little so far.

Jamie

Re:

Thanks Cefnbikie

Jon, apologies as I somehow missed your post.
Do you think there is a need for separate threads/sections? If so I can always put it to John, The Guvnor.

Jamie

Re: Jack Taylor Super Clubman Barn Find

Been building up a little something this weekend.
Not for a final build type thing but more for a fit session to make sure the basics are right before investing in a paint restoration.
I built it up with a very eclectic parts bin mix that won't really reflect what will go on it when restored other than the Mafac Racers.
When I originally got this straight from the chicken shed storage it had been in for some years it had black guards and some Mavic M2 rims with 700 x 28 tyres. I cleaned and stripped it right away and pulled of the mix of road and mtb parts off it, most rusted or corroded beyond repair and thought I paid attention and took everything in. I have been slowly plodding away with this for quite some time trying to clean up and preserve the frame/paint or at the very least stop the corrosion and rust that was going on all over. Oxalic acid, scrubbing, touch up, waxing and while it needs proper paint to bring it back and stop completely it's not come up too bad. My issue today was the fitting of the Mafac brakes. When I got it it had no name sidepulls fitted and these were pulling from the opposite side from Shimanos finest, pulled them off a not nice but pretty corroded anyway. Now with the Mafacs they are at the deepest drop and without the mudgaurds it is such a huge clearance both front and rear that I am pretty sure this was built with 27' wheels in mind. This for me is a problem as clearance is already at the upper limit and is not an option.
It was only a short ride for about 2 miles and the only thing I needed to work was the brakes and the chain to see how it felt. It felt very very nice and so that's why the 27' thing took the shine off a bit.
Remember the builds only for a cruise round the block and I know the cables are too short and the rear derrailleur is a bit tight etc and this is because most was what either was lying about or was borrowed from the Mercian for the day. I have some really nice Nitto rando bars, stem along with a new Stronglight headset and other nice stuff for it when it gets finished. The Mafacs will stay maybe?/hopefully as I spent a while rebuilding/ restoring them and have some really nice levers but the first gen Dura Ace cranks are for my BMX :)
Just thought I would share the first bit of tangible updating for a while.

Jamie

DSC_1859 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSC_1861 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSC_1863 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSC_1865 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSC_1866 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Re: Jack Taylor Super Clubman Barn Find - * small update page 3

Well that paint looks better than I thought it would.

I'd leave off re-painting it were it mine. It would actually devalue your bike. It shows all the bikes history in those blemishes.

New chain and new tyres. I noticed in the picture how much the back wheel is pulled to the rear. Is there a bit of wiggle room to edge it forward a bit? That might take some of the tension off the rear mech? Would possibly negate a new chain which could ultimately expose wear problems to the free wheel and also teeth wear on the chain rings.

Great to see this one again, was wondering the other day how the build was doing!

Hi all
Thanks for the posts and nice words.
I realise it's just cobbled together and the chain as well as the brake cables are too short. I didn't want to cut new ones as these are the ones straight off the Mercian and I have new bars with non aero Mafac levers. I knew the chain would be OK as long as I didn't go anywhere near big to big :)
Peter I did slide the wheel forward a bit and that helped with tonight taking it on a slightly longer roll round after work. Even though it started raining I still really like the feel of the longer top tube and rear stays, relaxed angles etc, it just felt a bit more relaxed than the Mercian, which when compared to the Merckx feels relaxed normally.
I hear what people are saying about the paint too but my concern is that there is so much rust coming through. The paint before it went into the chicken shed years was obviously as the previous owner said, 'lovely and shiny' as when it is cleaned and waxed, what is left of the paint really gleams. Unfortunately the dust that has sat on it for years is quite corrosive and has gone through it deeply in some places.
Hence my to and fro with the idea of repainting, on one hand I don't want to lose Jacks original paintwork but on the other I don't want to lose the frame.
I had an email today from a long term Jack Taylor rider who has about four frames and hung around the shop when younger as well as ride with Norman regularly and he had his main frame painted a while back and he said Jack wouldn't be bothered, if it needs painting it needs painting.
I used to be undecided, now I'm not so sure ;)

Jamie

Here is a couple of pics I took just before when I got in to show the corrosion up close.
DSC_1857 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSC_1858 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSC_1859 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

This is the bit that causes me most concern
DSC_1860 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSC_1864 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Latest posts

Back