Peugeot 531 pro ex pro team SEFB Bernard Chesneau from 1988

Re:

Took advantage of the good weather and took the SEFB Pug out for its first road test since building it up. I have to say it rode great despite the tubs being well past their sell by date. The only issue I had was the RHS friction lever was not quite tight enough and the gears started to jump going uphill, probably also due to very slight stretching of the new cable but I quickly sorted it. The bike feels amazingly tight not even the slightest rattle over cobbles too, it may be old but its got bags of life left in it. As I mentioned in earlier posts the wheels are not correct but I have been contacted by the chap I bought the frame off in Belgium and he is now selling the original pro wheels, Mavic SSC Paris roubaix rims laced to Mavic RD550 hubs but they are not cheap and I dont know if I could justify ( or afford ) that outlay on an already pricey build. I am also looking for some Mavic SSC pedals now. I cant quite say its completely `tout mavic` at the moment but I am mostly there. Makes an interesting photo with the ANC Pug which has C record which is an equally beautiful groupset but I have to say the Mavic is my favourite groupset.

Attachments

• sefb&anc2.jpg
    sefb&anc2.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 617
  • sefb&anc.jpg
    sefb&anc.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 617
  • sefb2104.jpg
    sefb2104.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 617
Marshalllucky, I picked up the wheels this morning in Liege.

If he has not taken down the link they look like this.

https://www.2ememain.be/vélos/vélos/vélos-de-course/roues-mavic-ssc-special-services-473895520.html

I got them as part of a package deal, so did not pay that price :)

I have a use for them, but i know they should be reunited with the bike.

If you are interested send me a PM. I will be back in the UK in February and can being them with me, You can have them at “cost” collect in central London or plus UK postage if you are elsewhere.

I just received this ex SEFB - Peugeot pro team 531 pro frameset from a Belgian seller which seems to have belonged to Bernard Chesneau ? . SEFB were a Belgian pro team from the mid 80`s to the early 90`s I think. As some may know, Bernard Chesneau rode the 1987 TDF for ANC and then returned to SEFB for 1988 before retiring as a pro. The frame is 56cm and was originally Mavic SSC equipped. Sadly the seller stripped the bike and had already sold the SSC kit by the time I bought the frame but I have a picture of the items removed from the bike which will help me in building it back up. The BB shell has been chamfered as is required with the Mavic SSC bottom brackets ( 610 ? ) of the period. I havent started to clean it up yet, it`s got lots of battle scars but I will be keeping it as original as I can. I even managed to get a team shirt !. The seller says he still has the original wheels so I will be trying to buy them if they are decent. At first glance it looks similar to a Perthus pro which was sold in the Uk in this colour scheme in 1988 but note the number hanger and the lack of a pump peg and the fact its 531pro not 753. The weight is approx 2.59 kg frame and forks. It will be a slow build as Mavic SSC of the period doesn`t come up for sale too often. I know SEFB were not a particularly headline making team and Bernard Chesneau is not Laurent Fignon but still an interesting piece if cycling history worth saving :)
Hi, my name is Chris and I believe I now own this bike. I'm not to sure about forums etc, but my email is chriswoodhouse991@gmail.com Please get in touch as I have a some questions and it would be great to chat, many thanks Chris

Hi, my name is Chris and I believe I now own this bike. I'm not to sure about forums etc, but my email is chriswoodhouse991@gmail.com Please get in touch as I have a some questions and it would be great to chat, many thanks Chris

Im not sure about forums either to be honest, though probably not a good idea to leave your address up on the site. I will tag @marshalllucky for you and hopefully he will see this and can then pm you and you can pass your contact details on through that :)

Im not sure about forums either to be honest, though probably not a good idea to leave your address up on the site. I will tag @marshalllucky for you and hopefully he will see this and can then pm you and you can pass your contact details on through that :)
Many thanks, please do get in touch though as there are some interesting questions I'd like to ask like why is name on crossbar G Chesneau and not B Chesneau. The bike also has Mavic throughout and I was told this was all original from 1988. Is it where he had 2 bikes as riders have back up bikes?

Attachments

• 20230507_183657.jpg
    20230507_183657.jpg
    753 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230507_183639.jpg
    20230507_183639.jpg
    771.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230507_183625.jpg
    20230507_183625.jpg
    733.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230507_183622.jpg
    20230507_183622.jpg