Help needed with Raleigh Model Identification

ReggieRabbit

Retro Newbie
Hi

I've recently bought this bike. A Raleigh from 1986. The guy I bought it off bought it new in 1986 but he couldn't remember the model. He was a real nice down to earth guy and bought for a low price, so no worries about the story. I've looked all over the internet and cannot identify the model or find a brochure for that year.

I'm a bit confused because of the stickers etc - (3 x Raleigh stickers in a 'space' type font (Quasar/Pulsar style) and no other stickers apart from the head tube sticker, a supplier sticker from Wolverhampton and a Ti Raleigh Industries, Made in England sticker at the bottom of the seat tube near the bottom bracket - No steel/material stickers), the rack looks original.

He gave me the owners manual with it but it's generic and doesn't mention the model.

I know it's a fairly basic model, key points:
- Gold/bronze coloured
- Round tube frame (not Aero - I think Pulsar/Quasar are Aero/oval)
- 10 speed
- Sachs Hurret derailleur and chain set
- Safety levers - alloy, not drilled and unbranded
- Brown Cable covers
- Unbranded brakes
- Unbranded wheels
- Plastic Chromo mudguards (looks original)
- Rack
- Hard plastic seat

Anyone able to help with identifying it?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Andy

Attachments

• s-l1600-resize.jpg
    s-l1600-resize.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 387
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 387
Re:

It is a very basic model to start with...

Having worked in a Raleigh 100 dealership (Top 100 sellers in the country), I know this is a dealership special, when the factory had a surplus of frames, they would give them a basic spray job and basic stickers and knock them out to the dealer cheap, so they could make a larger profit margin or pass on the discount to make higher sales.

Many of the base models were the same bike just different paint or decals .

Back