Peugeot 531 pro ex pro team SEFB Bernard Chesneau from 1988

marshalllucky

Retro Guru
I just received this ex SEFB - Peugeot pro team 531 pro frameset from a Belgian seller which seems to have belonged to Bernard Chesneau ? . SEFB were a Belgian pro team from the mid 80`s to the early 90`s I think. As some may know, Bernard Chesneau rode the 1987 TDF for ANC and then returned to SEFB for 1988 before retiring as a pro. The frame is 56cm and was originally Mavic SSC equipped. Sadly the seller stripped the bike and had already sold the SSC kit by the time I bought the frame but I have a picture of the items removed from the bike which will help me in building it back up. The BB shell has been chamfered as is required with the Mavic SSC bottom brackets ( 610 ? ) of the period. I havent started to clean it up yet, it`s got lots of battle scars but I will be keeping it as original as I can. I even managed to get a team shirt !. The seller says he still has the original wheels so I will be trying to buy them if they are decent. At first glance it looks similar to a Perthus pro which was sold in the Uk in this colour scheme in 1988 but note the number hanger and the lack of a pump peg and the fact its 531pro not 753. The weight is approx 2.59 kg frame and forks. It will be a slow build as Mavic SSC of the period doesn`t come up for sale too often. I know SEFB were not a particularly headline making team and Bernard Chesneau is not Laurent Fignon but still an interesting piece if cycling history worth saving :)

Attachments

• SEFBPUG1.jpg
    SEFBPUG1.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 3,040
  • SEFBPUG2.jpg
    SEFBPUG2.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 3,043
  • 151109173118495ChesneauBernard.jpg
    151109173118495ChesneauBernard.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 3,042
  • sefbpug5.jpg
    sefbpug5.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 3,042
  • mavicssc2.jpg
    mavicssc2.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 3,041
Re:

Wow, what a terrific project! Made more so by the bike's history. I still miss my Perthus Pro ( sadly had to go to fund my PY10-FC) it was terrific to ride. Very much looking forward to seeing this built up. :cool:

Re:

Great looking bike and project.

I have several Peugeots, including 2 531 Pros, really like these bikes (one was my son's uni bike: he believed kerbs and steps were there to be gone up and down so he broke or bent most parts of it apart from the frame and fork which seemed to be bomb proof). Yours will look fantastic when built up with Mavic (mine using Shimano or Campag). Am looking to build up a recently acquired Peugeot 708, unused ex-team bike (the thread's lower down), using Sachs New Success, a completely new groupset to me. Coincidentally, received an e-mail today from a seller in France giving me a tracking number of what looks like a hardly used New Success groupset, so fingers crossed. Will still be looking for a suitable 27.2 seatpost, but I'm hoping the building can begin soon and will post some photos when something to show.

Good luck.

Re: Re:

Hawmaw":aky3ly7r said:
You may have already seen it but page 2 of this thread markyp selling a Pug with SSC groupset. May be worth buying bike if still avaiable and selling on the frame.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=374385

Hi Thanks for the info, I think it was a rather nice vitus 979 that he had , I suspect he would want big bucks for it and I cant really afford to buy another complete bike at the moment as tempting as it is :-(

Re:

So I have got a bit further with this build. I am quite happy to compromise with some of the parts but I managed to source a decent used Mavic 610 bottom bracket which is silky smooth and went in effortlessly as I mentioned the BB shell had already been chamfered. I also located a rather nice Mavic bar and stem combo , the 26.2 fluted seat post I had in anyway is a no brand but seems a good cosmetic match to the original. The white turbo saddle I also had in already . The SEFB team used Reydel GTI saddles which will be a problem to source but I want to ride this bike this summer so I am not too bothered. The shifters are Simplex branded, they`re identical to the Mavic ones which I believe bore no branding. I put some more Mavic decals on to match the originals that were on the rear seat stays and forks , the one for the top tube was a problem , I`ve not been able to find the correct Mavic decal for the top tube but the ones I have put on look ok in the meantime. The wheels are just a nice pair that originally came on a Peugeot Vitus 979 which are ok for the time being.I am still trying to find a decent Mavic 630 SSC chainset , I`ve had a few in my time but there seems to be a dearth of them at the moment so I have put on a Ofmega competizione which looks almost identical. I love the look of this bike, it has plenty of scars but is very presentable and I`m really looking forward to riding it ...eventually.

Attachments

• SEFB555.jpg
    SEFB555.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 2,495
  • sefb556.jpg
    sefb556.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 2,495
  • sefb557.jpg
    sefb557.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 2,494
  • sefb558.jpg
    sefb558.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 2,495
Re:

Thanks for the info Maca will bear that in mind. Got a bit further on this one now . Sourced and fitted very clean (almost mint) Mavic SSC 851 rear and 862 Front mechs.
I have been looking unsuccesfully for affordable Mavic master pro brakes but so far have to settle for Modolo branded equivalents , I also have Modolo branded levers en route to me. I intend to wrap the mavic bars with Benotto ribbon style tape, I have just bought silver / grey colour but I really wanted white but not seen any for a while. Then need to buy some new tubs ( probably cheapies like continental giro ) and it`ll be ready for testing and first fixes. Whilst browsing the web also found this further photo of Bernard Chesneau whilst riding for SEFB but cheekily posing with his ANC Peugeot which he obviously kept when the ANC team folded.

Attachments

• bernard chesnauSEFB.jpg
    bernard chesnauSEFB.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 2,085
  • SEFB-201.jpg
    SEFB-201.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 2,085
Nearly there. Since the last post I have purchased and fitted the correct Mavic SSC 630 chainset , fitted some rather nice Modolo pro levers , the hoods were wrecked so I used some new Diacompe ones I had waiting in the sideline, hard work to push on but they fit like a glove now. I wrapped the bars with silver/grey benotto and some red pvc tape to finish . I`m not sure about the white cable outers I used, I may swap them to grey but the white compliments the saddle which I am keeping on. Just need pedals and new tubs. If its nice any day soon may go for a blast on it and take some decent outdoor photos :) I know I have spent a lot dressing up an old warhorse and the frame is not exactly mint but it deserved to be rebuilt due to its provenance and Mavic components are not likely to crash in value any time soon so I think I can say I have spent wisely on this build.

Attachments

• sefb501.jpg
    sefb501.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 1,948
  • frontmavic.jpg
    frontmavic.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 1,947
  • rearmavic.jpg
    rearmavic.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 1,947
  • sefb502.jpg
    sefb502.jpg