My Bob Jackson - Don't know much about these.

jamesdak":24zn9fuj said:
LOL, Yeah it's a 52 cm and my smallest bike. None of that matters when out on the road.
Surely you understand why you should have a correct sized frame ?

The length of seat post & handlebar stem freaks me out! Are both parts extra long so they are safe ?

Ian Raleigh":1tnrvk2r said:
jamesdak":1tnrvk2r said:
LOL, Yeah it's a 52 cm and my smallest bike. None of that matters when out on the road.
Surely you understand why you should have a correct sized frame ?

The length of seat post & handlebar stem freaks me out! Are both parts extra long so they are safe ?

Surely I do! Of course we probably define "correct size frame" differently. ;)

Neither part is exceeding it's marked limits. I have over 30 old steel frames I ride and maintain and most certainly know what is safe and what is not. Plenty of folks freak out when they so much exposed post.

I've ridden that bike for centuries and have no issues running at 20+ mphs on it for miles and miles if I'm pushing it. I'm perfectly fine with that. I run bikes from 52 cm to (gasp) 57 cm. All safely. Of course the 57cm is a 650b conversion so it's not really that big. All my have the exact same saddle height, setback and reach no matter what size frame they are. Some of us just like a little variety and to live dangerously. Sorry that it's freaking you out. :D

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":3ew1de9o said:
Don't let it bother you. One of mine,

Set up and ride them how you want

Mike

Oh yeah, that's exactly right. And cool bike by the way!

I went through about a 7 year period where I had to ride with my bars pretty much even with my saddle. Had messed up my lower back really bad. Used to get comments all the time about how my bars were too high.

For me any bike on the road being used is a good thing.

Ian Raleigh":btimg7g5 said:
Jesus I wished I'd said chuff all now.......................................

Nah, it's all good. Some folks don't even know that there are limits on stems and seatpost and are running dangerous setups. Nothing wrong with bringing up concerns in my book. Heck, I was just sharing another new bike on another forum and one guy noticed that the stem on it was a dangerous one that's been recalled. I had no clue. Glad he pointed it out.

Lots and lots of people feel like you do on the frame fit and I don't normally go hunting 52 cm frames because I consider them too small too. But in this case it's the only Bob Jackson I've got and I can't see letting it go. It's such a good rider like it is. Now when I finally pony up the money for a new one you better believe it will be more my normal 55/56cm size. Then I'll let this one go....maybe. ;)

Going back many years I got my second racer, the frame was way too small for me,
so the seat post & stem was up as high as they could! at that time I had no idea about
height limits on such parts and why there was advisory lines & such, one day whilst out
on the bike going up a hill, out the saddle. really swinging the bike side to side only for me
to come off my bike, the handlebar stem had started to bend at the headset and it failed at
the headset, I had a long walk home that day and when I visited my local bike shop the mechanic
said the frame is too small for you and should look for something bigger, four inches bigger.

Since then seeing bikes with loads of stem & posts mentally bother me :facepalm:

Back