GT Force

Gtpulse

Dyna-Tech Fan
Not the most popular of the GT road line up but now built has found a spot in the Cave with my Edges . This bike came to me without wheels and sporting part of a Shimano RSX groupset which would have been original. Had a nasty alloy GT quill stem, nasty in both looks and the fact it was seized solid in the forks. Even after several nights soaking with wd40 it wouldn't budge. I had to cut it off then drill out the remains, all worked out ok. Needless to say everything has been liberally greased before rebuilding to stop future similar issues. Original plan was to acquire the RSX bits and some wheels to finish it then sell it on. I ended up recycling the parts off a long unused bike on to this frame, giving it a 3x10 speed Campagnolo Race Triple groupset. The Force frame has mudguard and rack eyelets on it, alongside the triple chainset will make it much more versatile than the Joe Waugh frame the parts came off. It's ended up a bit heavier than my other GT road bikes but its steel and the others are aluminium and titanium. The ride is a bit softer but still stiffer than other steel bikes I've ridden. On with the pics -

Before

Untitled by gtpulse78, on Flickr

After

Spec

Year: 1998

Frame (frame & forks): GT Force
Tubing: 4130 Cr-mo
Size: 60cm

Headset: Cane creek 1" threaded
Stem: Kalloy quill stem
Handlebars: Modolo Anatomic
Bar Tape: Ritchey

Brakes: Campagnolo Veloce skeleton

Gear levers: Campagnolo Veloce 10speed Triple
Front Derailleur: Campagnolo Comp Triple 10speed QS black
Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo Race Triple black

Cranks: Campagnolo Race Triple Black
Chainrings: as above
Bottom Bracket: FSA square taper
Pedals: Look pp337
Cassette: Ambrosio 10speed
Chain: SRAM 10 speed

Rims: Campagnolo Atlanta 1996 clinchers
Hubs: Shimano Exage 32h front 32h rear
Tyres: Vittoria Rubino
Spokes: Sapim stainless double
Butted

Saddle: GT Titanium railed
Seatpost: Campagnolo Chorus
Seat Bolt: GT

If anyone can tell me how to make photos display from Flickr instead of the links I'd be grateful - not been able to do it since the new software!

If you look at your post, you'll see each image link is wrapped in two sets of tags. You only need one set, with the image address between them (no spaces).

Regarding stuck stems, I found a couple of instructional videos that should help both prevention and cure.

[url=http://vimeo.com/59444605#]Prevention[/url]

[url=http://vimeo.com/59399246]Cure[/url]

Thanks - it was Flickr I think and not the RB site. I think they've added the img part to the code you copy and paste.

N/B":219ab7ky said:
If you look at your post, you'll see each image link is wrapped in two sets of tags. You only need one set, with the image address between them (no spaces).

Regarding stuck stems, I found a couple of instructional videos that should help both prevention and cure.

[url=http://vimeo.com/59444605#]Prevention[/url]

[url=http://vimeo.com/59399246]Cure[/url][/quote]

Re the prevention video - Looks like Suicide Girls meets Retrobike - that's a site I'd have a lot of
time for!

Funnily enough I watched the second video earlier today. Unfortunately the steerer tube on mine is tapered toward the bottom and still had the wedge part left in so trying their method would only get it more stuck.

Nice bike - Thanks for posting. I've got a polished aluminum edge I picked up cheap because I wanted to get back into road riding. I think mine is around a 94 vintage. It would be fun to get a steel one like that and build it up as a rando or city bike.

The Cave looks very interesting, reminds me of the Bicycle Garage - we should have a thread on here something like "show us your workshop." Mine is a mess but a very neat place if you are a RetroBiker.

Hiya sorry for the thread bump but what size seat post do these take? I tried a 27.2 Thomson in mine today and seemed a bit snug. 27.0? Cheers

Re:

I had to find the photos to see which seatpost was in that frame as the frame it’s self is long gone! Pretty sure it’s a campag aero post in 26.8mm flavour, can’t remember if that was snug or not so possible it could be a 27mm. Definitely not a 27.2mm which is what my Edge frames take. Hope that helps.

Re: Re:

Gtpulse":3q0x4nkf said:
I had to find the photos to see which seatpost was in that frame as the frame it’s self is long gone! Pretty sure it’s a campag aero post in 26.8mm flavour, can’t remember if that was snug or not so possible it could be a 27mm. Definitely not a 27.2mm which is what my Edge frames take. Hope that helps.

Thanks. I had a Kalloy type 26.8 that seemed quite loose handy to test. The Thomson 27.2 was alittle too snug. next stop the kalloy type 27.0 I have on another bike. I'm having similar issues with my Orange Prestige!

While Im at it
I measured my frame on Sunday, it's almost 590mm top tube, and a massive 630mm seat tube, bordering on a bit big for me at 6ft2... maybe? It's only got a 90mm stem though. ;)

Back